As a former Brownie and Girl Scout, I’m always thrilled to hear how positive the Girl Scouts continue to be in the lives of today’s girls and young women. I was especially happy to hear that the Girl Scouts of the USA has partnered with the Together Counts Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation to create three booklets on healthy habits for volunteers to use in conjunction with their Journey Adult Guides.
These free booklets provide girls with good advice on leading active, healthy lifestyles. Through the use of the Healthy Habits Journey booklets, Daisies, Brownies, and Juniors, Girl Scout volunteers and families can guide girls in fun, easy ways to achieve an active, healthy lifestyle on their “Journey Through Energy Balance.” Energy Balance means balancing Energy In (the calories you get from eating and drinking) and Energy Out (the calories you burn from physical activities).
You can download and view PDFs of the booklets by clicking on the links here:
- Between Earth and Sky with Healthy Habits (for Daisies)
- WOW! Wonders of Water with Healthy Habits (for Brownies)
- Get Moving! with Healthy Habits (for Girl Scout Juniors)
To date, nearly 117,000 booklets have been downloaded. It’s been such a successful program that the Girl Scouts of the Nation’s Capital is making Healthy Habits a key part of their “Journey Planners,” a map of activities for each season of the year! -
Health and fitness have been part of Girl Scouting since girls ran foot races in 1912, so I’m glad to see that the Girl Scouts are continuing to keep girls active and healthy!
Learn more about Together Counts at the September 9 #gno #HealthyHabits Twitter chat
Join Mom It Forward, the Girl Scouts, and Together Counts for a Twitter chat on September 9th from 9-10 pm ET (8CT, 7MT, 6PT)! They’ll be chatting about the Girls Scouts Journeys Healthy Habits booklets and how parents and troop leaders can encourage a healthy, active lifestyle. Just follow the #HealthyHabits and #GNO hashtags!
- What: Girls’ Night Out (#gno) Twitter party (Click here to learn about #gno!)
- When: Tuesday, September 9 from 9—10 p.m. EST (8CT, 7 MT, & 6 PT)
- Where: Party with us using your favorite Twitter platform. Just make sure to follow the party hashtags!
- Hashtags: #gno & #HealthyHabits
- Topic: Healthy Habits
- Who:Brand Panelist: @TogetherCounts, @GSCNC Community Panelists: TBD Moderator(s): @jylmomIF @Dadventurous @troypattee and @MomItForward
- Party Favors: Please click here to see more information about the giveaway.
- Learn more here.
Connect with Together Counts and the Girl Scouts
For more information about Together Counts, go to:
- Together Counts website – Aimed at parents and educators and provides resources, tips, recipes and more.
- Together Counts blog – The Together Counts blog is the main source of all consumer-friendly news around the topic of healthy eating habits and incorporating more physical activity.
- Together Counts on Twitter
- Together Counts on Pinterest
- Together Counts on Facebook
For more information about the Girl Scouts, go to: