We invited people from the neighborhood as well as friends and coworkers, who all brought a dish. During the summer, there always seems be a reason to have friends hang out – a weekend grill-out, a picnic in the park, or a good old-fashioned game night.
Whatever the gathering – this Yummy Corn Dip from Holly Clegg’s cookbook, trim&TERRIFIC KITCHEN 101: Secrets to Cooking Confidence is the perfect appetizer to whip together.
Yummy Corn Dip is the epitome of fresh + convenience = homemade, too. You probably have these easy pantry-friendly ingredients already! (I always have frozen corn in the freezer and a can of chopped jalapenos in the pantry.)
When entertaining, make it easy on yourself by making this corn dip ahead of time. Just refrigerate and reheat in the microwave until heated through. Diabetic-friendly, and definitely a people-pleaser, this creamy dip with a kick is a sure-fire hit! It’s also naturally gluten free and vegetarian.
Feel free to substitute nonfat Greek yogurt for the sour cream, if you wish.
You can find more of Holly’s trim& TERRIFIC® recipes at The Healthy Cooking Blog.
Yummy Corn Dip
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeño (found in cans or jars)
- 2 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup nonfat sour cream
- 2/3 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In large nonstick skillet, heat oil and add corn cooking over medium heat, stirring until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add onion and pepper, sauté until tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Add green onions, jalapeño, mayonnaise, sour cream and cheese, stirring until heated and bubbly; cheese is melted. Season to taste
- Serving size: 1/4 cup
- Calories: 89
- Calories from Fat: 35 (39%)
- Total Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Unsaturated fat: 3g
- Sodium: 108mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 11g
- Sugar: 3g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 4g
- Cholesterol: 7mg
Dietary Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 fat
Recipe and photo used with permission.