While I’m on the mend from my recent brain surgery, I’ll be posting recipes from favorite brands and good friends like Holly Clegg. Holly was one of the first people to reach out to me when I was in the hospital. It’s wonderful to have the support of such a wonderful lady!
This recipe comes from her cookbook, Holly Clegg's trim&TERRIFIC KITCHEN 101: Secrets to Cooking Confidence: Cooking Basics Plus 150 Easy Healthy Recipes [affiliate link]. You can find more of Holly’s trim& TERRIFIC® recipes at hollyclegg.com and The Healthy Cooking Blog.
As an Udi’s Gluten Free community leader, I feel compelled to share how to make this gluten free. First, use Udi’s Gluten Free buns. And make sure to use a gluten free rice cereal like Rice Chex [affiliate link] or Erewhon's Crispy Brown Rice Cereal [affiliate link].
Sizzling Summer Burger
Too hot to cook so, we have to keep dinner quick and easy. Hot and sizzling burgers are an all-American summer classic. Most folks have their favorite go-to recipe for the good old-fashioned hamburger. But when the weather is hot, why not try something on the lighter side and put a little something adventurous between those buns? Different summer schedules can get hectic, but don’t fret most all burgers may be made ahead of time, covered and refrigerated, to pull out and cook for a nutritious satisfying meal.
I absolutely love salmon, and the Snappy Salmon Burgers from KITCHEN 101 is a delectable way to prepare salmon while not giving up your burger. Add your favorite condiments – mine is avocado – or try red onions and sliced cucumbers. Diabetic-friendly and delicious, this recipe will have even picker eaters won over – just tell them this is your new secret summer burger. Your heart will be glad as fresh salmon is packed with those heart healthy omega-3’s – proven to help lower blood pressure and cholesterol, and reduce the risk of heart disease.
Snappy Salmon Burgers
Fresh salmon makes all the difference with these sensationally delicious burgers full of snap and pop!
Terrific Tip: Salmon patties may be made ahead of time and refrigerated until ready to cook. If grilling, place salmon patties in freezer about 20-30 minutes and they will hold together better. Serve with your favorite condiments.
- 2 pounds fresh salmon fillets, skinned
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill weed leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 2 cups crisp rice cereal
- With knife or food processor, chop salmon into small pieces.
- In large bowl, mix together salmon, green onions, garlic, lemon juice, dill and season to taste.
- In another bowl, whisk together egg and egg white and add to salmon mixture.
- Using your hands, gently mix salmon mixture with cereal (mixture will be loose). Form mixture into burgers.
- Heat large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray over medium heat. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Serving size: 1 burger (no condiments or bun)
- Calories: 188
- Calories from Fat: 55 (29%)
- Total Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Unsaturated fat: 5g
- Sodium: 142mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 7g
- Sugar: 1g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 25g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
Dietary Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 lean meat
Recipe and photograph used with permission of the author.