Here’s a Fourth of July guest post from Holly Clegg featuring a recipe from her new cookbook, Holly Clegg’s trim&TERRIFIC™ Eating Well To Fight Arthritis: 200 Easy Recipes and Practical Tips to Help Reduce Inflammation and Ease Symptoms [affiliate link]. Serve leftovers (if you have any) as a pasta salad the next day.
Red, White and Blue
Fourth of July is right around the corner, and I wanted to share the perfect summer recipe to add to the red, white and blue festivities. For a classic, any-occasion dish the pasta salad is where it’s at – and this Sensational Summer Pasta does not disappoint, especially since it is “red and white!” Fresh ingredients at their best, ripe juicy tomatoes, basil, and creamy mozzarella, meld together for an all-star crowd favorite.
An easy tip to seed tomatoes - cut the tomato in half from side to side and gently squeeze the tomato to watch seeds easily pop out. Try growing basil in pots as it is fairly easy and nothing beats fresh basil in the summer! You can easily chop fresh basil by rolling it up and slicing it into pieces. If you don’t have fresh basil handy, you can use dried at a ratio of 3:1. In other words, 1 tablespoon fresh = 1 teaspoon of dried herbs.
Add a side of blueberries, or your favorite blueberry cobbler and you have a delicious red, white and blue spread! Highlighting the fresh ingredients of the season to accompany the meat you throw on the grill, this trim&TERRIFIC recipe is sure be worthy of the fireworks on those hot summer nights.
Sensational Summer Pasta
- 4 cups coarsely chopped ripe tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves, torn or chopped
- 1/4 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 ounces bowtie or curly pasta
- In large serving bowl, combine tomatoes, garlic, green onion, basil, cheese, and olive oil. Season to taste. Cover, and keep at room temperature at least 2 hours up to 6 hours.
- When ready to serve, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and add to tomato mixture.
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Calories: 278
- Calories from Fat: 97 (35%)
- Total Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Unsaturated fat: 8g
- Sodium: 19mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 36g
- Sugar: 4g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 9g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
Dietary Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
Recipe and photo used with permission of the author.