My husband, Paul, and I threw a party for his coworkers and their families after work last Friday. I made Grilled Corn and Pablano Guacamole as a side dish. As we do for many of our barbecues, we ask our guests to bring a side dish, buns, or dessert since we’re providing the drinks and the main course – in this case two smoked Boston butt pork shoulders and two smoked chickens.
I made Grilled Corn and Pablano Guacamole because I wanted to prepare a gluten free, vegetarian side dish just in case we had a guest who didn’t eat meat or had to stay away from delicious mac and cheese someone inevitably brings. (I live in the South, after all.) The guacamole is a healthy recipe can be used as a salad, as a dip with tortilla chips, or in tacos.
Grilled Corn and Poblano Guacamole is a great way to use leftover corn on the cob, too! If you don’t normally cook your corn on the grill, try it as it’s delicious! Or you can cheat like I did and use the one pound bag of frozen roasted corn they sell at Trader Joe’s.
Since I used a lot of corn and didn’t mash the avocados, the Grilled Corn and Poblano Guacamole turned into more of a side dish type salad. If you want a true corn guacamole, use the amounts from the recipe below.
Grilled Corn and Poblano Guacamole
- 2 small ears fresh corn, shucked
- 1 small poblano chile
- 8 ounces tomatillos, husked (about 4 large)
- 2 avocados, halved, pitted, peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped red onion, rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat gas grill to medium or prepare a charcoal grill. Grill corn, turning occasionally, until golden on all sides, about 5 minutes. When cool enough to handle, cut kernels from the cob; remove to a large bowl.
- Grill the chile and tomatillos, turning until skins are nicely charred, about 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel the charred skin from the peppers with your fingers. Remove stem, core and seeds; chop chile and remove to the bowl. Finely chop tomatillos, capturing juices, and add to the bowl.
- Add avocado, onion, cilantro and salt.
- Coarsely mash avocado and gently stir to combine all ingredients
- Serving size: 1/2 cup