Mother’s Day is just around the corner. Luckily my friend, Holly Clegg, has a terrific recipe for mom’s special day – Mexican Breakfast Casserole for breakfast in bed from Too Hot in the Kitchen: Secrets to Sizzle At Any Age!
Breakfast in Bed
One of my favorite ways to show Mom how special she is with a wonderful, stress-free brunch. And don’t worry, no one ever said brunch meant spending an entire morning in the kitchen. Mexican Breakfast Casserole is great because you can make it ahead of time to surprise your family the next morning. Prepare and put together easily the night before and simply bake in the morning so the whole family will wake up to the enticing smell of this fabulous dish.
This hearty breakfast recipe is so full of flavor made with tortillas, green chilies, and turkey sausage – use corn tortillas for a gluten free meal. Impress your mom with this easy yet special one-dish meal for breakfast – just serve with juice and maybe pick a flower from the garden!
Mexican Breakfast Casserole
- 1 (4-ounce) can green chilies
- 8 ounces ground breakfast turkey sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red, green, or yellow bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 5 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 5 (8-inch) 98% fat-free flour or corn tortillas, cut into quarters
- Coat 13x9x2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread green chilies along bottom of dish.
- In large nonstick skillet, cook and crumble sausage until starts to brown. Add onion and bell pepper, cooking until sausage is done and vegetables tender. Add garlic and chili powder. Remove from heat. Cool.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites, and half-and-half. In another bowl, combine green onion and cheese.
- Spoon one-third of sausage mixture over chilies in baking dish. Top with one-third tortilla quarters and one-third cheese mixture. Repeat layers, ending with cheese. Pour egg mixture evenly over casserole and refrigerate, covered, at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven 350°F. If using glass baking dish, place in cold oven and bake 50-60 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown and knife inserted into custard comes out clean.
- Serving size: 1/8 to 1/10 of recipe
- Calories: 262
- Calories from Fat: 73 (28%)
- Total Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Unsaturated fat: 4g
- Sodium: 578mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 23g
- Sugar: 5g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 18g
- Cholesterol: 129mg
Dietary Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 lean meat
Recipe and photos used with permission of the author.