This year I went a little nuts and bought a bunch of canned pumpkin purée – and then never made pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving! (Though I did make Eggless Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies for my daughter, Lucie.) If you’re like me and have a few cans of pumpkin lying around you can make Healthy Slow Cooker Pumpkin and Bean Chili or this vegetarian recipe for Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread!
This recipe comes from The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition, written by Julieanna Hever, M.S., R.D., C.P.T. Julieanna is also known as “The Plant-Based Dietitian” and is the host of What Would Julieanna Do? on the healthy living TV network Veria Living. Julieanna is a passionate advocate of the benefits and miracles associated with following a whole food, plant-based diet.
This spicy, fudgy bread is a mix between a pudding and a cake. It’s a great dessert to bring to holiday parties, to give as a homemade holiday gift, or to serve on Meatless Monday! You can cook it up as a loaf or turn the batter into muffins by adjusting the time accordingly.
You can assure that this recipe is gluten free by using only GF certified oat flour and gluten free baking powder and vanilla extract. I’m sure you can use an alcohol based vanilla, regular eggs, and sugar sweetened chocolate chips, but your nutritional values will be a bit different.
Gluten Free Chocolate-Chip Pumpkin Bread
- 1 cup date paste
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flax eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon alcohol free vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups grain-sweetened chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F.
- In a large bowl, combine date paste, pumpkin purée, flax eggs, maple syrup, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Gently stir in oat flour, aluminum-free baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and ginger. Mix until no lumps remain. Add chocolate chips, and evenly distribute throughout.
- Pour batter into 9x5-inch loaf pan, and bake for 1 hour. Allow bread to cool before cutting and serving.
- Serving size: 1 slice (5 ¼ x 1 ¾ x ¾ -inch)
- Calories: 312
- Calories from Fat: 6g
- Total Fat: 2.5g
- Sodium: 160mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 62g
- Sugar: 45g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Recipe and pictures used with permission.