Pomegranates aren’t just for the winter holidays. Luckily, POM Wonderful makes their pomegranates, juices and arils available to you year round! Summer’s a great time to enjoy their products in salads, entrees, desserts and smoothies.
This week and next I’ll be featuring a few healthy and delicious POM Wonderful recipes while I’m in Iowa learning about soy foods from the SoyFoods Council, in New York for the BlogHer conference, and in Washington, D.C. speaking at the USPCA Conference.
How do you like your pomegranate?
POM Spinach, Tangerine and Fennel Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette
Time to Table: 20 minutes prep, 30 minutes marinating
Servings: 4 main dish servings and 2/3 cup dressing
- 1/4 cup arils from 1 large POM Wonderful Pomegranate or POM POMS fresh pomegranate arils
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Juice from 2-3 large POM Wonderful Pomegranates (see Notes below) or 1 cup POM Wonderful 100% Pomegranate Juice
- 3 tangerines
- 4-5 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- Fennel ferns
- Score 1 fresh pomegranate and place in a bowl of water. Break open the pomegranate under water to free the arils (seed sacs). The arils will sink to the bottom of the bowl and the membrane will float to the top. Sieve and put the arils in a separate bowl. Reserve cup of the arils from fruit and set aside. (Refrigerate or freeze remaining arils for another use.)
- Prepare fresh pomegranate juice.* (see Notes below)
- Peel and section tangerines.
- Place tangerines in a bowl with 1 cup pomegranate juice and sugar if desired. Allow to marinate 30 to 45 minutes.
- Drain tangerines; reserve 1/3 cup of the marinade for vinaigrette.
- Mix 1/3 cup reserved pomegranate marinade with the other vinaigrette ingredients and shake together in a tightly covered container.
- Divide spinach, fennel and red onion on 4 salad plates.
- Divide tangerine slices on salad and dress with 1 to 2 tablespoons of vinaigrette per serving.
- Garnish with fennel ferns.
- For 1 cup of juice, cut 2 to 3 large POM Wonderful Pomegranates in half and juice them with a citrus reamer or juicer. Pour the mixture through a cheesecloth-lined strainer or sieve. Set the juice aside.
This Mama’s tips
- Make this salad a meal by adding chunks of cold rotisserie chicken or grilled shrimp. You could even sprinkle a little low fat feta on it!
Recipe and photo courtesy of POM Wonderful and used with permission.