Manly food doesn’t have to be meaty, greasy and covered with cheese! Considering that cardiovascular disease is the number one killer for men in the US, it’s time to make a change starting in the kitchen during football watching season.
That’s why CanolaInfo.org came up with their Heart-Healthy Dude Food Recipe Collection. It contains 10 hearty but healthy recipes made with canola oil like Deep, Dark and Stout Chili and Fall-Apart Beer Brisket that are perfect for game day parties.
Here’s another Heart-Healthy Dude Food recipe that is sure to be a winner during Sunday’s game!
- 6 6 inch soft corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 ripe medium avocado, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 medium tomatillo, papery skin removed, rinsed and diced
- 1 large jalapeno chili pepper, finely chopped (seeded, if desired)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 can (15 oz) no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Stack tortillas and cut into eight equal triangles (48 wedges total). Put triangles in single layer on two baking sheets. Drizzle triangles with canola oil and sprinkle with garlic powder and black pepper. Bake for 10 minutes or until chips are light brown and beginning to crisp. Remove from oven, place baking sheets on cooling racks, sprinkle evenly with 1/4 tsp salt and cool completely (about 10 minutes). As chips cool, they will become crisper. Store in airtight container up to 24 hours for peak flavor and texture.
- Meanwhile, combine avocado, tomatillo, jalapeno, cilantro, red onion, black beans, canola oil, lime juice, vinegar and salt in medium bowl. Serve with tortilla chips.
- Serving size: 1/3 cup salsa, 8 chips
- Calories: 130
- Total Fat: 10g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Unsaturated fat: 8g
- Sodium: 200mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Picture courtesy of CanolaInfo