The folks at Truvia challenged me to replace a usual lunchbox snack (be it chocolate milk, pudding, cookies or candy) with a no-sugar-added, naturally sweetened healthy snack from one of their Truvia-sweetened recipes.
One of the not-so-healthy items I used pack for my kids was chocolate pudding. We gave it up years ago because it was laden with empty calories and a bunch of stuff I wasn’t comfortable giving my kids. Truvia’s school lunch makeover gave me an idea for making a healthier chocolate pudding.
By using coconut milk and rice starch, I went one step further and changed the recipe so kids who are dairy free or can't have corn products can eat it, too. It's also gluten free. (Feel free to use skim milk and corn starch from the original recipe if you or your child doesn’t has any food sensitivities or allergies.)
This is a very quick and easy healthy snack recipe to make since it’s done in the microwave. You can easily make up a batch on a school night. Put the pudding in plastic containers covered in plastic wrap overnight. Snap on the lids in the morning and add it to your child’s lunchbox. They’ll be thrilled!
Kids like Truvia sweetened snacks
Lucie and Nathan both loved the pudding. Nathan especially liked the texture and taste. I’m sure they’ll be asking for more Truvia sweetened pudding soon!
Sugar Free & Dairy Free Chocolate Pudding
- 3 tablespoons rice starch
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 11 Truvia packets
- 2 1/2 cups lite coconut milk
- 2 ounces unsweetened dark chocolate, cut into small chunks
- 1 teaspoon gluten free pure vanilla extract
- Assemble ingredients.
- In a large microwaveable bowl, place corn starch, salt and Truvia® natural sweetener
- Whisk to combine thoroughly.
- While whisking, add coconut milk to dry ingredients and mix until no lumps or dry spots.
- Add chocolate pieces to the milk mixture.
- Place in microwave and heat for 1 minute. Remove and stir well.
- Repeat step 6.
- Place back in the microwave and heat mixture for 2 minutes, stir well, and heat for 2 minutes again until thickened.
- Add vanilla and stir.
- Allow to cool at room temperature for 5 minutes.
- Portion into individual serving dishes and cover with plastic touching pudding to prevent skin from forming.
- Chill in the refrigerator until cooled and set.
- Serving size: 3/4 cup
- Calories: 181
- Calories from Fat: 134
- Total Fat: 14.9g
- Saturated fat: 11.6g
- Unsaturated fat: 3.3g
- Sodium: 189mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 15.5g
- Sugar: 8g (Erythritol 7g)
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Protein: 3.7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Disclosure: Truvia provided me with samples of their product and a gift card to pay for ingredients.