You can also do veggies and dip, hummus and pita chips, or apple slices and grapes.
However, there’s nothing that says “movies” like popcorn!
Family movie night caramel popcorn with bacon!
I recently attended a party where everyone brought a bacon-themed dish. One couple brought a fabulous bacon and caramel popcorn dish that featured vegan bacon that was terrific. Ihad to create my own version!
Not only is this bacon flavored healthy snack vegan, but it’s gluten free. I’ve tweaked it to use products that fit with my food sensitivities like coconut palm sugar. However, feel free to make your own substitutions.
You can also add nuts, dried fruit pieces or even chocolate chips to the popcorn. Bacon Caramel Popcorn can be as healthy – or decadent – as you want it to be.
Bacon Caramel Popcorn
- 3/4 cups good quality popcorn, unpopped
- 1 3/4 cups bacon crumbles made from your favorite type of bacon (vegan, turkey or pork)
- 1/2 cup buttery spread
- 1/4 cup agave nectar (amber, light or raw)
- 1 cup coconut palm sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon gluten free baking soda
- 2 tablespoons Maker’s Mark bourbon
- 2 teaspoons gluten free vanilla extract
- Fry up your bacon until crispy. Let cool and crumble.
- Pop popcorn using an air popper.
- Combine the buttery spread, agave nectar, and coconut palm sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and boil for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the remaining caramel ingredients (salt, baking soda, bourbon, and vanilla).
- Pour the bacon bits over the popcorn and stir.
- Pour the caramel sauce over the popcorn and gently stir to combine.
- Spoon the popcorn onto two large baking sheets.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 45 minutes, stopping every 15 minutes to stir.
- Let the popcorn sit for at least 30 minutes or until it cools to room temperature.
- Serving size: varies