I love cornbread and I adore seafood, so this recipe is bound to be fantastic!
My favorite healthy cornbread recipe
I recently appeared on a TV show with my Seafood Cornbread recipe. With so many recipe requests, I knew immediately what recipe to feature to round out your Fourth of July Menu!
When it comes to barbecues, everyone seems to have their own style of grilling and classics such as potato salad, baked beans and cole slaw grace the summer menu. So, what about the bread?
This cornbread recipe is scrumptious, outstanding and melts in your mouth. I know since I live in Louisiana where seafood is plentiful. However, this recipe works well with canned or frozen seafood as well. A fun preparation is to make in muffin pans (mini or regular) and serve in a basket. And, yes, cornbread freezes if you have any left.
If you don’t like seafood, just leave it out for a wonderful variation on cornbread. Diabetic friendly as it is low in fat, carbs, and sodium is the best surprise of all!
- 1 1/2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all-purpose regular or gluten free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cored and chopped
- 1 (15-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 1 cup shredded, reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped jalapeño pepper slices (found in jar)
- 2 cups combination seafood ( small peeled shrimp, cooked; crabmeat, or crawfish)
- Preheat oven 350°F. Coat 13 × 9 × 2-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking soda, and sugar.
- In another bowl, combine milk, egg, and oil.
- Add remaining ingredients except seafood. Mix well.
- Stir into flour mixture. Gently stir in seafood.
- Transfer mixture to prepared pan. Bake for 55–60 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serving size: 1 square
- Calories: 87
- Calories from Fat: 29 (33%)
- Total Fat: 3g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Unsaturated fat: 2g
- Sodium: 130 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 10g
- Sugar: 2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 5g
- Cholesterol: 27mg
Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat
Picture and recipe used with permission of the author.