Make this Grilled Wahoo with Tomatoes and Olives if you've enjoyed dining on wahoo in a restaurant.
It's easy to make if you like to grill fish at home.
My husband recently came back from yet another Mexican fishing trip. What am I going to do with all this fish I wondered? (You should have my problems, I know.)
I decided to grill up a couple of wahoo fillets. This grilled wahoo recipe is easier than you think!
Wahoo is related to mackerel and is called “ono” in Hawaii and “peto” in the Spanish speaking parts of the Caribbean and Central America.
I’ve made grilled wahoo with an orange butter before, but I wanted to try another recipe. After doing a search, I found a Grilled Wahoo with Tomato Sauce recipe from Bobby Flay.
It looked delicious, but I didn’t have many of the ingredients on hand. However, it got me thinking that I could substitute that jar of Spanish green and black olives I had in the fridge for the capers and anchovies.
Here’s what I ended up making that got rave reviews from my husband. Super simple and it took longer to cook the fish than it did the tomatoes and olives.
- 2 small to medium-sized wahoo fillets
- canola oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and diced
- 1/2 cup manzanilla olives, pitted and diced
- Heat the grill to high.
- Brush both sides of the fillets with canola oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place fish on the grill and immediately turn the dials to low. Close the cover. Grill until cooked through, about 4 to 6 minutes per side depending on how thick your fish fillet is.
- While the fish is grilling, heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and olives and cook until heated through.
- Plate fish and spoon sauce over it. Serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 366Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 893mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 6gSugar: 6gProtein: 13g
Nutritional information is automatically calculated per the ingredients list. Serving size may not be accurate. Please double-check with your preferred nutritional app for the most accurate information.