Don’t you love the elegant way they presented the meatballs with the twisted bamboo skewers and the tiny pieces of herbs? Well, if you want to stick the meatballs in a bowl and let your guests spoon them on to their plates along with a few plain toothpicks, I’m sure no one will mind!
And don't forget this recipe during football playoff and bowl game parties, too!
Turkey Orange Meatballs
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 cup whole rolled oats
- 1 Florida orange, peeled and diced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 cups 100% Florida orange juice
- 6 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Fresh herbs for garnish, optional
- In large bowl, combine turkey, oats, orange, egg, Italian seasoning, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Mix well.
- Roll mixture into walnut-sized balls, making approximately 28 meatballs.
- Place meatballs in large, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cover and cook, turning occasionally until browned on all sides. Meatballs should be cooked through with no pink remaining in the center.
- Whisk together orange juice, vinegar, tomato paste, cornstarch, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Add orange juice mixture to cooked meatballs in skillet. continue cooking and stir gently until sauce becomes clear and coats meatballs, about 5 minutes.
- Serve meatballs on toothpicks garnished with fresh herbs, if desired.
- Serving size: 4 meatballs
- Calories: 210
- Calories from Fat: 50
- Total Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 1.5g
- Unsaturated fat: 4.5g
- Sodium: 800mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 24g
- Sugar: 11g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 16g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
Recipe and photo used with permission.