Are you looking for a last minute party dip for your St. Patrick’s Day party? Something to go with the green holiday theme, but healthy, too? Of course, my frequent contributor, Holly Clegg, has the perfect easy dip recipe for the occasion – Easy Hot Crab Spinach Dip Baked in French Bread!
This recipe from her Gulf Coast Favorites cookbook will surely become a go to favorite for all your parties, not just St. Patrick’s Day. After all, who doesn't love crab dip or spinach dip? This recipe combines both favorites, adds a little heat (literally and with a little cayenne pepper), and serves them in a bread bowl. This Easy Hot Crab Spinach Dip is a party appetizer classic!
You can find more of Holly Clegg’s trim& TERRIFIC® recipes at hollyclegg.com and The Healthy Cooking Blog. Don’t forget that Holly’s cookbooks make wonderful gifts for anyone trying to eat in a more healthy way and for the beginning cook! Perfect for bridal showers, new grads moving out on their own, or birthdays.
Serve Easy Hot Crab Spinach Dip at your St. Patrick’s Day party!
One thing comes to mind when it comes to St. Patrick’s Day – GREEN! I love to serve green foods on the March holiday. And St. Patrick’s is the perfect excuse to eat your greens all month long. If you like spinach dip, then Easy Hot Crab Spinach Dip Baked in French Bread is as good as it gets.
Did you know buttery green avocados are considered a fruit? Avocados are rich in heart-healthy monounsaturated (good) fat and one of the most nutrient-dense foods around. They’re high in fiber. Ounce for ounce, avocados top the charts among all fruits for folate, potassium, and vitamin E. This Easy Hot Crab Spinach Dip recipe is also great for entertaining since it’s served in a bread bowl, it’s easy to clean up!
This St. Patrick’s Day month, there is no excuse not to eat healthy, trim&TERRIFIC – so dig into greens!
This Mama Cooks Easy Hot Crab Spinach Dip recipe tips
When making the Easy Hot Crab Spinach Dip, cube the extra bread to serve with the dip, or serve with crackers.
Prepare dip ahead of time, refrigerate, and transfer to bread when ready to bake.
If you’re bringing a dip like this to a potluck party or to the office, you should invest in a Rachael Ray Foodtastic Party Box with Universal Thermal Carrier. It comes in four colors – purple, orange, green and red. So cool! (Or in this case, so warm as it’ll keep your Easy Hot Crab Spinach Dip nice and warm on the way to the party.)
Easy Hot Crab Spinach Dip Baked in French Bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, drained and squeezed dry
- 1 cup shredded, reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 pound lump or white crab meat, picked through for shells
- 1 avocado, pitted and chopped
- 1 loaf French bread
- In nonstick pot, melt butter and add flour, stirring 1 minute. Add garlic and continue stirring. Gradually add half-and-half and milk, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil.
- Add cayenne pepper, mustard, salt, pepper, spinach, and cheese, cooking and stirring until cheese is melted. Gently fold in crab meat and avocado.
- Slice thin slice off top of French bread and scoop out soft inside bread leaving a shell. Fill with crab-spinach mixture, and bake 20–25 minutes or until bubbly. Cover top of bread with foil if it begins to brown.
- Serving size: 1/4-cup
- Calories: 111
- Calories from Fat: 46 (41%)
- Total Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Unsaturated fat: 3g
- Sodium: 194mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 6g
- Sugar: 2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 11g
- Cholesterol: 29mg
Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate, 1 1/2 lean meat
Recipe and photo used with permission.
Holly Clegg's trim&TERRIFIC KITCHEN 101: Secrets to Cooking Confidence: Cooking Basics Plus 150 Easy Healthy RecipesHolly Clegg's Trim & Terrific Freezer Friendly MealsThe New Holly Clegg Trim & Terrific Cookbook (Trim and Terrific)Crown Prince Lump White Crab Meat, 6-Ounce Cans (Pack of 12)