Here’s another delicious and unique grapefruit based recipe from celebrity chef and winner of Food Network Star Season Six, Aarti Sequeira. It uses an ingredient that’s new to me – fennel seeds that are coated in brightly colored candy. They’re often served at the end of an Indian meal to help folks digest. That’s no surprise as according to Web MD, fennel is used for various digestive problems including heartburn, intestinal gas, bloating, loss of appetite, and even colic in infants.
You can find candy coated fennel seeds at Indian markets or online. Having something to crunch on while you sip on the smoothie will trick your tummy into feeling more satiated than with the smoothie alone!
Chef Aarti’s revealing a new recipe every two weeks through March 18 on the Florida Grapefruit Facebook page. If you’re as big a fan of grapefruit as I am, I’m sure you’ll be checking out more of her recipes for new ideas on how to cook with grapefruit!
Grapefruit Yogurt Smoothie with Fennel Seed
- 1 cup 100% Florida grapefruit juice
- 2 cups plain 2% Greek yogurt
- 4 frozen bananas
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (gluten free)
- Big pinch kosher or sea salt
- 1 tablespoon coarsely ground fennel seeds
- Fennel seed candy, optional
- Place all the ingredients in the blender (in the order listed for optimal blending).
- Whiz together until smooth.
- Taste for seasoning, adding more honey if you like.
- Pour into 4 glasses, sprinkle with fennel seed candy if desired and serve immediately.
- Serving size: 1/4 of recipe
Picture and recipe used with permission.