It’s that time of year where we’re all looking for ways to lighten up the foods we eat. Maybe that’s cutting calories on old favorites or making better choices – especially after a holiday season of high calorie treats and non-stop eating!
Some of the ways I’ve been making better choices has been to keep lots of fruits and vegetables available for healthy dishes or to snack on between meals. Also, my sister has challenged my kids to give up soda for six months with a $100 incentive and one year for a $200 incentive. (And boy are they motivated!) So I’ve stocked up on flavored and plain no calorie seltzers for them. In addition, I’ve been making sure that I’m drinking lots of water, taking my vitamins and probiotics, and getting a good night’s sleep.
To help you lighten up your foods, you might want to look into Truvia® natural sweetener. It’s just one small thing that can help you stick to your New Year’s resolutions. Use it as a substitute for sugar in your tea or coffee or in your baking or cooking. It’s a great way to reduce calories and lighten up everything from your morning oatmeal to desserts.
You should also check out the Truvia® brand website for more recipes like the one below for Basil Marinated Pork Roast. I really loved this marinade and felt it would also work on grilled chicken for an outdoor barbecuing or tailgating party. Start this recipe in the morning before work and when you come home, get it roasting in the oven while you start the brown rice cooking.
Making dinner from scratch – instead of picking up fast food or eating out – is probably one of the best ways you and your family can eat healthier. It’s also a great way to have healthy leftovers to take to work and school the next day!
Just a few notes on the recipe. I was unable to find a 1 1/2 to 2 pound pork roast and instead I used a 3 pound roast and doubled the marinade. However, I found the pork roast cooked up in about the same time the recipe called for. So, if you find a smaller roast, please to check the temperature after 30 minutes to make sure you’re not over cooking it. Nothing worse than dried out pork! Also, baste with a soup ladle not a turkey baster. The marinade is way too thick and will clog up your baster.
Basil Marinated Pork Roast
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup club soda
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup Truvía® natural sweetener spoonable
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 lemons, juiced and zested
- 1⁄4 cup basil, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mustard seed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (1.5-2 pound) pork loin roast, tenderized
- In a small bowl, combine Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, club soda, olive oil, Truvía® natural sweetener, vinegar, lemon juice and zest, basil, parsley, mustard, celery seed, mustard seed and garlic.
- Tenderize the pork loin by placing on a cutting board. Take two forks with both hands and simultaneously jab the fork into the loin multiple times to pierce.
- Place pork loin roast in a large plastic re-sealable bag and pour marinade over pork loin. Seal and marinate in refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Remove roast from bag, place in a roasting pan, and save marinade.
- Roast pork loin at 325 degrees F for about 1 1⁄4 hours, or to an internal temperature of 155 degrees F. Baste the pork with the marinade every 30 minutes while cooking.
- Remove roast from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes (it will continue to cook during this resting stage). Confirm internal temperature has reached 160 degrees F prior to serving.
- Serve with wild brown rice or string beans
- Serving size: 1/2 pound per person
- Calories: 90
- Total Fat: 3g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Unsaturated fat: 2g
- Sodium: 90mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 3g
- Sugar: 0g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 13g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
Small setbacks and the Truvia® brand TRU to You Sweepstakes!
A recent survey commissioned by Truvia® natural sweetener showed that 55 percent of people experience small setbacks to eating healthy, such as snacking on sweets or junk food. That’s why Truvia® natural sweetener is launching The Stay TRU to You Sweepstakes, which aims to give fans a chance to enter to win one of three rewards for sticking to their New Year's resolutions. By taking the Stay TRU to You pledge, each entrant will receive a Truvia® brand coupon and will also have a chance at winning one of the three selected rewards. To take the Stay TRU to You pledge, visit Facebook and go to the Stay TRU to You Facebook tab.
Truvia® natural sweetener is a great tasting, zero-calorie sweetener made with the best tasting part of the stevia leaf. One packet provides the same sweetness as two teaspoons of sugar, and is great in coffee, tea, or even your morning grapefruit. The sweetener is available in 40-, 80- and 140-count boxes, and in a spoonable jar. Truvia® Baking Blend blends Truvia® natural sweetener and sugar to provide a sugar-like taste and texture for recipes, with 75% fewer calories than sugar. For more info, check out Truvia.com/recipes or our Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and YouTube channels.
Disclosure: Compensation was provided by Cargill® via Glam Media. The opinions expressed herein are those of the author and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Cargill®.