Last month I shared with you a couple of brunch time recipes that would be a great way to add some Benefiber® to your daily routine in my Mexican themed brunch: Chorizo Breakfast Casserole and Healthy Horchata post. If you’re gluten free and not getting fiber from whole grains, it’s especially important to add fiber to your diet from fruit, vegetables and products like Benefiber.
If you’re gluten free and very strict about it, make sure to buy certified gluten free oatmeal. Oatmeal is naturally gluten free, but some brands of oatmeal may be subject to cross-contamination since they’re processed on the same machinery as gluten containing foods.
Stay healthy during the holidays
This month, I’m featuring a recipe for Raw Oatmeal “Risotto” from Benefiber and Chef Richard Blais. It’s perfect for the holiday season when we get too busy to eat in a healthy way, especially with all those unhealthy treats and overindulging during holiday parties! Fiber is one of the most important parts in everyone’s diet and it’s easy to forget to have your daily recommended amount during the holiday season. By incorporating Benefiber into your holiday meals, you can keep your friends and family on track – and they won’t even taste the difference!
Raw Oatmeal "Risotto"
- 3 cups raw steel cut oats, divided in half (gluten free)
- 1/2 cup finely ground raw almonds
- 4 cups coconut milk or almond milk
- 3 cups water
- 1/4 cup agave nectar, amber
- 1/4 cup chopped Medjool dates
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 teaspoons Benefiber
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (gluten free)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For garnish, use a combination of any of the following:
- Chopped walnuts, sliced banana, pomegranate seeds, raisins, goji berries, cacao nibs, and/or hemp seeds
- Grind or blend half the oats.
- Combine with remaining oats and all ingredients and let sit overnight.
- Mix the following morning and top with garnishes of your choosing.
- Mix in a little water or milk if texture is too thick.
- Serving size: 1/4 of recipe
Some healthy holiday tips
Below are some holiday prep and cooking tips from Chef Richard Blais to help you “Better it with Benefiber” this holiday season.
- Plan ahead. Organize your menu and grocery list ahead of time to avoid last minute dashes to the grocery store the day of. Don’t forget to pick up a bottle of Benefiber!
- Organize the kitchen. Take inventory of your refrigerator and throw out anything you don’t need to make room for fresh produce and vegetable platters.
- Incorporate fruits and veggies that are in season. Using the season’s abundance of fresh produce will add a little zest to your dish of choice without taking too much from your wallet. For added fiber, mix in Benefiber to help you and your guests reach your daily intake!
- A little seasoning can go a long way. A great way to cut back on the salt without sacrificing flavor is by substituting for your favorite herbs and spices. You don’t want your food to be tasteless – only your added Benefiber.
- Serve dinner buffet style. Set the food in one area and invite guests to select what they want to eat. It will be more fun for your guests to move around and interact with each other around the buffet table.
I’m a Benefiber® brand ambassador. I’ve been compensated for my work and all opinions are my own.