I’m so glad football season is finally here! That’s why this healthy tailgating recipe for Taco Dip from Holly Clegg is perfect, whether you’re an NFL fan like me (go Broncos!) or a college football fan like her. This will work during weekend celebrations or while watching Monday Night Football with the family.
Holly’s Tailgating Taco Dip recipe comes from her cookbook, Holly Clegg's trim&TERRIFIC KITCHEN 101: Secrets to Cooking Confidence: Cooking Basics Plus 150 Easy Healthy Recipes [affiliate link]. You can find more of Holly’s trim& TERRIFIC® recipes at hollyclegg.com and The Healthy Cooking Blog.
Weekend tailgating parties
Around here LSU football rules, so I decided to highlight a simple favorite football recipe. Every weekend is an opportunity to entertain and party as folks gather to celebrate around food, fun, and football. And whether you are tailgating at the game or in front of the television in the comfort of your own home – to me that only means one thing – party food! My husband is already talking about having folks over to watch the out-of-town games and who has time to cook? I turn to my Start Simple Chapter in KITCHEN 101 for this easy, few ingredient super-satisfying Taco Dip.
Ground beef, especially lean sirloin, is an excellent protein-rich ingredient with a variety of uses. In fact beef is the best way for your body to absorb iron, an essential mineral that helps your immune system, cognitive development, temperature regulation, metabolism, and work performance. The savory Taco Dip is one of our absolute game-day favorites.
Terrific Tailgating Tips:
- Use disposable plates, napkins and utensils in the team’s colors.
- Have a plan to keep hot foods hot and cold foods cold.
- Start planning your menu a few days before kick off. Get organized, and make a checklist so you don't get sacked by family and friends.
Terrific Tailgating Taco Dip
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 (1.25-ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped avocado
- In large nonstick skillet, cook meat until done; drain excess grease. Add remaining ingredients except tomato and avocado, cooking until mixture is creamy and cheese is melted
- Transfer mixture to serving dish. Top with chopped tomato and avocado. Serve warm.
- Serving size: 1/4-cup
- Calories: 95
- Calories from Fat: 34 (36%)
- Total Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Unsaturated fat: 2g
- Sodium: 286mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 7g
- Sugar: 2g
- Fiber: 1g
- Protein: 8g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
Dietary Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 lean meat
Photo and recipe used with permission of author.