I saved the best for last – Holly Clegg’s recipe for Yam Chocolate Spice Bars from her new cookbook, Holly Clegg’s trim&TERRIFIC™ Eating Well To Fight Arthritis: 200 Easy Recipes and Practical Tips to Help Reduce Inflammation and Ease Symptoms [affiliate link]! Holly says that one bite of this incredible fall favorite made with a spice cake mix, yam filling and chocolate chips is a taste sensation. In fact, she finds that everyone requests this recipe after having a bite. It’s also a great way to use up leftover cooked sweet potatoes. Finally, since bar cookies freeze well, feel free to make up several batches in case you have a craving.
Yam Chocolate Spice Bars
- 1 (18.25-ounce) box spice cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 (8-ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1 (15-ounce) can sweet potatoes, drained and mashed or 1 cup cooked mashed Louisiana yams
- 1 (16-ounce) box confectioners’ sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Coat 13x9x2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In mixing bowl, beat together cake mix, butter, and egg until well mixed. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- In mixing bowl, beat together cream cheese, sweet potatoes, confectioners’ sugar, egg whites, and vanilla until creamy. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour mixture over batter in pan.
- Bake 40-50 minutes or until top is golden brown. Cool to room temperature and cut into squares.
- Serving size: 1 square
- Calories: 134
- Calories from Fat: 42 (31%)
- Total Fat: 5g
- Saturated fat: 3g
- Unsaturated fat: 2g
- Sodium: 116mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 22g
- Sugar: 16g
- Fiber: 0g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 12mg
Dietary Exchanges: 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
Recipe and photo used with permission of the author.