Are you a golf fan traveling to Jacksonville to view THE PLAYERS May 6-12? If so, you’ll be interested to learn about the addition of several new social venues at THE PLAYERS that will give fans chance to cool off in the shade, grab a drink and some delicious local food, and watch the likes of Tiger Woods, Rory McIlroy, Phil Mickelson, and defending-champion Matt Kuchar on large LED video boards.
Taste of JAX, located between 11 green and 12 tee at THE PLAYERS, offers foods from local, favorite restaurants, a covered, centrally located bar, upgraded restrooms, and videoboards to keep up with the tournament. For those of you trying to eat healthy or gluten free, there are several restaurants to chose from such as:
- Indochine – Thai and Southeast Asian cuisine from one of downtown Jacksonville’s most popular locales, plus gluten free and healthy options
- Metro Diner – Classic American fare with low-calorie and gluten-free options
- Pele’s Wood Fire – Modern Italian-American cuisine where pizza is the signature dish
THE PLAYERS’ concession stands also showcase some of the most creative dishes the region has to offer in addition to including vegan and gluten free items:
- Sawgrass Sliders: well-seasoned mini-burgers
- A Vegan Fare menu: a lineup of vegan offerings not seen at other golf events, including a Black Bean Patty Melt, Chick’n Salad and Hummus Supreme
- Gluten free dishes: include the Avocado Power Lunch, Ham and Cheese Panini and a BSR Sandwich (Turkey Bacon, Spinach and Red Onion)
One dish that will be served at THE PLAYERS that caught my eye was the Mayport Shrimp with Grits and Fried Green Tomatoes, which features fresh shrimp prepared in neighboring Jacksonville. This would be a fun dish to make for brunch to enjoy while watching THE PLAYERS at home. Or save it for the following weekend for a Mother’s Day brunch!
Mayport Shrimp with Grits and Fried Green Tomatoes
Serving for 4
- Stone ground quick grits
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Granulated garlic, to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Prepare grits as directed on the package for 4 servings.
- Add seasonings into water when grits are added.
- Add cheese at the end and keep warm.
- 1 pound 16/20 Local Shrimp, peeled and cleaned
- Blackening seasoning, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-14 ounce can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 4 ounces ham, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1/4 pound butter or buttery spread
- 4 cups white wine
- 1/2 red tomato, diced (for garnish)
- 1 green onion, chopped (for garnish)
- Season shrimp with blackening seasoning and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan add garlic, cook until light brown.
- Add ham and peas, cook until crispy.
- Add shrimp and wine. Reduce wine by half then stir in butter. Shrimp are done when they turn pink.
Fried green tomato ingredients:
- 1 green tomato, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs, plain
- Blackening seasoning, to taste
- Canola oil
- Slice tomato. Place flour in a small bowl, place eggs in a small bowl, and place bread crumbs mixed with blackening seasoning in a small bowl.
- Heat enough canola oil in pan to cover tomato slices to 350 degrees.
- Dip sliced tomato in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs.
- Fry tomatoes in canola oil until golden brown. Cut in half before serving.
- Place grits on plate, top with shrimp mixture and some of the sauce from the pan.
- Serve each plate with 3 halves of fried tomato. Then garnish with diced red tomato and green onions.
Recipe and pictures used with permission.