I remember the first time I drank The Republic of Tea’s Honey Ginseng Tea. It must have been six or seven years ago when I was attending a writing workshop at a Denver-area restaurant. I loved its flavor and how their round tea bags didn’t have strings, tags or staples. I’ve been a fan ever since. So that’s why I’m thrilled to announce that I’m working with The Republic of Tea as an Enlightenment TEAm blogger! Each month I’ll be reviewing several of their teas as well as sharing some tea tips and a discount promo code with you!
Taking this month Sip by Sip
- Ginger Peach Black Tea – their most popular peach tea
- Orange Blossom 100% White Tea – an orange tea that is delicately flavored yet crisp
- Natural Hibiscus Herbal Tea – a fruity and sweet hibiscus tea
- The People’s Green Tea – and unblended Chinese green tea
My favorite was the Natural Hibiscus Herbal Tea, followed by the Ginger Peach Black Tea. I found both to be a refreshing pick me up on a dreary winter day. I also liked how both were sweet enough so I didn’t have to add some stevia or honey to my cup.
How to brew an awesome cup of tea
To brew the optimum cup of tea, follow these steps as recommended by the folks at The Republic of Tea.
- It starts with the water. If the water’s fresh, the tea tastes better. They recommend using filtered, spring or bottled water.
- Fill the kettle with fresh, cold water and heat to a rolling boil. For green and white tea, stop short of boiling to avoid “cooking” the delicate leaves.
- If using a teapot: Warm the teapot by swirling in a splash of the steamy water and pour it out.
- Add approximately one teaspoon of tea or herbs or one tea bag per six-ounce cup. Place tea into the infusing basket or teapot.
- Pour the water over the tea, cover and infuse to taste.
- Remove the infuser or tea bag. If using a teapot, pour the tea into a cup or thermos.
- Enjoy the perfect cup of tea!
They also suggest you steep the tea varieties using the following guidelines:
Type of Tea
|Herbal Tea||Infuse for 5 – 7 minutes||Infuse for 5 – 7 minutes|
|White Tea||Infuse for 2 – 3 minutes||Infuse for 30 – 60 seconds|
|Green Tea||Infuse for 2 – 4 minutes||Infuse for 1 – 3 minutes|
|Oolong Tea||Infuse for 5 – 7 minutes||Infuse for 3 – 5 minutes|
|Black Tea||Infuse for 3 – 5 minutes||Infuse for 3 – 5 minutes|
Note: Experiment to find your ideal brewing time. Don’t over brew, or you’ll get bitter, acidic tea. Also, when preparing iced tea, prepare a double strength infusion of hot tea (follow the above instructions). Strain and cool to room temperature. Pour cooled tea over ice.
The Republic of Tea March 2013 promo code
When you order tea through The Republic of Tea website, use “#THISMAMA” (no quote marks, but use the #) to receive a complimentary Cheerful Cuppa tea mug for making a purchase from The Republic of Tea (with your shipment #1 promo code).
The promo begins March 1, 2013 and is effective until March 8, 2013.
What flavor tea will you be ordering?
Disclaimer: The Republic of Teas provided me with product samples. All opinions and experiences are my own.