As a community leader at Udi’s Gluten Free, I’m always on the lookout for healthy, delicious and easy to make gluten free recipes. That’s why I was excited that the folks at the Chilean Fresh Fruit Association sent me this recipe for gluten free crepes to share with you!
You'll need a crepe pan (an 8" omelet pan should do fine), and if you've never made crepes - some patience! It takes a little bit of practice to get the crepes just right, so expect to feed the first few tries to the dog.
About Chilean fruit
Chile’s fresh stone fruits and berries are now in ample supply in supermarkets throughout North America. If you’re concerned about safety of the produce coming from Chile, know that their fruit growers and exporters are passionate about providing the freshest, highest-quality fruit to consumers. That's why they've invested in state-of-the-art facilities and maintain the highest standards for food safety and quality.
Gluten Free Crepes with Chilean Fruit and Orange Sauce
Recipe from the Chilean Fresh Fruit Association
Serves 8 (2 crepes per serving)
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk or soy milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter or buttery spread (melted)
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 peaches, sliced in 1/2 inch slices
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced into quarters (or equivalent mix of blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries)
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs and milk together. Add melted butter. In a small bowl, blend flour, salt, sugar and baking powder and add to liquid mixture, and blend until combined. Refrigerate for one hour.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine orange juice and granulated sugar and simmer until mixture is reduced to 1 cup. Remove from heat. Add vanilla, blend, and set aside.
- Lightly wipe the surface of a small nonstick skillet with butter or canola oil. Place skillet over medium heat. Pour approximately 1/8 cup of batter into hot skillet, tilting skillet until batter spreads evenly into a thin layer. Cook crepe until lightly brown, about two minutes, then flip with a pancake turner or spatula.
- In a small bowl, combine the sliced peaches and berries. Spoon sliced fruits into the center of each crepe. Fold in half. Fold in half again forming triangle, four layers thick. Place two crepes on individual serving dishes and add 1/4 cup of orange vanilla sauce.
Optional: add whipped cream, yogurt or ice cream if desired.
- 177 calories
- 4 grams protein
- 5 grams fat
- 43 calories from fat
- 3 grams saturated fat
- 63 mg cholesterol
- 2 grams dietary fiber
- 209 mg sodium
Recipe and photo used with permission of the Chilean Fresh Fruit Association