Usually I’m very disappointed with celebrity cookbooks as the recipes are just the same old stuff and the quality of the recipe and book are usually so-so. Well, that’s not the case with Made With Love: The Meals On Wheels Family Cookbook! The recipes are unique, modern and interesting, and the photographs are beautiful. Even better, the profits from each sale help the Meals On Wheels Association of America.
Recipes in Made With Love come from celebrity chefs like Mario Batalli, TV food personalities Paula Deen and Martha Stewart, and movie stars galore like Helen Mirren and Judi Dench. The cookbook even features recipes from politicians like Senator Al Franken, whose Wild Rice & Turkey Hot Dish is something he makes for his family every Thanksgiving. Another politician whose recipe I admired was Alabama Governor Steven L. Beshear’s Spoon Cornbread. It’s a family recipe that’s been made for generations and is served at family functions at the Governor’s Mansion.
Other recipes to check out include Adam West’s Sawtooth Mountain Pot Roast, which is shown on the cover, and Maya Angelou’s Jollof Rice. (Yeah, Batman and poets can sure cook!) Both are on my “To Make” list! For more information on Made With Love be sure to check out the book trailer, Twitter, and Facebook pages.
Robert Egger’s recipe for Posole
Made With Love also features recipes from Meals on Wheels volunteers and others who help feed the needy, like Robert Egger. Robert is the president of DC Central Kitchen, which provides meals for thousands of at-risk individuals. DC Central Kitchen also helps train once-homeless adults in the culinary field. This recipe was created in honor of his wife’s stepdad, Grant, who was from New Mexico.
Grant’s Green Chile Posole
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds chicken tenders, or boneless, skinless breasts, cut into strips
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 (15-ounce) cans hominy, drained
- 3 (32-ounce) containers chicken broth
- 4 (2-ounce) cans chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 tablespoon fresh oregano
- Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
- Flour tortillas, warmed and buttered, to serve
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, warm oil. Add chicken and cook until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic, and continue cooking until onions soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add hominy, broth, chilies, and oregano and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from heat, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls, and serve with tortillas.
- Serving size: 1/6 of recipe
Disclosure: I was provided with a copy of Made With Love to facilitate this review. All opinions and experiences are my own. Amazon links are affiliate links. A commission may be earned from a referred sale to their website.