Here’s how I usually make roasted vegetables – combine root veggies, olive oil, salt and pepper and some seasonings and cook until done. Since we were having company last week, I wanted to try something new and this recipe from Mizkan caught my eye. I’ve had much experience marinating meats, but have never tried it with vegetables. The original recipe has you grill the vegetables, but I thought roasting them in the marinade would be even better. However, during grilling season, I bet this recipe would work well as a shish kabob marinade for both vegetables, beef, pork and chicken.
I served this for some of my husband’s friends from his bowling team along with my family. I never know how a vegetable dish will go over with people since some folks don’t like veggies. Needless to say, this dish disappeared and one of our guest asked for the recipe. It was such a success that I’ll be marinated my roast vegetables from here on out.
Note: The recipe originally used Holland House Red Wine Vinegar, but since I had none in the house, I used NAKANO® Italian Herb Seasoned Red Wine Vinegar instead knowing that the seasoning would only add more flavor to the dish.
- 1/3 cup NAKANO® Italian Herb Seasoned Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow crookneck squash
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 large eggplant
- For marinade, combine all ingredients except vegetables in a small bowl; set aside.
- Cut all vegetables into bite sized pieces – about 1 inch x 1 inch or so.
- Place in a large bowl or rimmed platter. Drizzle marinade over vegetables, toss to coat, and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place vegetables in a large oven safe pan, place in oven and cook for 20 minutes.
- Stir vegetables and cook until soft and slightly brown around the edges – about 10 to 15 minutes more.
- Stir vegetables and cook until soft and slightly brown around the edges – about 10 to 15 minutes more. Serve and enjoy!
Save money with NAKANO
You can download a coupon for 50 cents off your next purchase of NAKANO rice vinegar here. Also, for more recipes using NAKANO rice vinegars, sign up for Mizkan’s Splash for Cash e-newsletter for a chance to win up to $600. (Mizkan is NAKANO’s parent company.)
Disclosure: Mizkan, the parent company of NAKANO, provided compensation for this post. All opinions are my own.