While I love how easy it is to use premade World Harbors marinades for Smoked Beer Can Chicken, there’s something to be said for making your own marinade. First, you can control what goes into it, so if you have a food sensitivity you don’t need to worry about anything making you ill. Second, making your own marinade is very inexpensive, especially if you have most of the ingredients on hand.
Apple Ginger Marinade uses several items I always have in my pantry like NAKANO rice vinegar, soy sauce (gluten free tamari sauce, actually) and olive oil. The only ingredients I had to go to the grocery store for were for the fresh ginger and apple juice concentrate – and it was worth the effort. This is the best marinade I’ve ever made and the chicken was delicious and moist! I bet it would work for grilled or roast chicken as well as pork or fish.
- 1/2 cup NAKANO Seasoned Rice Vinegar - Roasted Garlic
- 1/2 cup frozen apple juice concentrate
- 3 tablespoon gluten free tamari sauce
- 3 tablespoons natural ketchup with no high fructose corn syrup
- 1 piece (1x1-1/2 inches) fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lemon (grate the zest and juice the lemon)
- 1 (2-3 pound) chicken
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients.
- Marinate chicken covered in refrigerator at least two hours and up to 24 hours. (I like marinating chicken in a Ziploc bag overnight.)
- Remove chicken from marinade and discard. You can boil marinade for several minutes, to use it as a basting sauce.
- Serving size: 1/2 pound per person
Save money with NAKANO
You can download a coupon for 50 cents off your next purchase of NAKANO rice vinegar here. Also, for more recipes using NAKANO rice vinegars, sign up for Mizkan’s Splash for Cash e-newsletter for a chance to win up to $600. (Mizkan is NAKANO’s parent company.)
Disclosure: Mizkan, the parent company of NAKANO, provided compensation for this post. All opinions are my own.