When I entertain during the holidays, I try to mix up healthy appetizers along with small but delicious indulgences. I also believe that if you’re going to treat yourself, it’s healthier to have a few small bites than a big plate of something that’s not so good for you.
That’s why I’m sharing this fun party appetizer recipe from Prosciutto di Parma. Instead of using dough, this recipe uses the prosciutto to form the cups to serve the goat cheese mousse in – a really cool and unique idea that's totally gluten free!
You could cut a few fat calories by using a low fat goat cheese and no fat milk. You could also experiment with other herbs that would go well with prosciutto, like basil.
If you don’t have a piping bag, make your own by filling a ziploc sandwich bag with the cheese mixture, making a small diagonal cut at one corner, and squeezing it out the open corner.
Crispy Prosciutto di Parma Cups with Goat Cheese Mousse
- 6 slices Prosciutto di Parma
- 3.5 ounces plain goat cheese at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cut Prosciutto di Parma slices in half crosswise. Press a half slice of prosciutto into each cup of a mini-muffin pan. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, in a small bowl, combine goat cheese with milk and chopped chives until creamy.
- Remove Prosciutto di Parma cups from the oven and let cool.
- Pipe or spoon the goat cheese mousse into cooled Parma cups, filling each with about a tablespoon of mousse.
- Serving size: 1 cup
Recipe and photo supplied by Parma and used with permission.