Do you have leftover cans of pumpkin from Thanksgiving? Use up a few in this gluten free soup recipe created by Jennifer Cafferty for San-J. For Meatless Monday, pair the soup with a salad and some nice bread.
Also, if you or a family member has a food sensitivity to peanut butter, try sunflower butter instead and omit the peanuts from the optional garnish.
Creamy Peanut and Pumpkin Soup
Recipe by Jennifer Cafferty of GFreelife.com
Serves 6 – 8
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon smoky paprika
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, divided
- 1 12-ounce can pumpkin
- 1 14.5-ounce can low-sodium, gluten free chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons San-J Thai Peanut Sauce
- 2 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Chopped chives and peanuts, for garnish (optional)
- Heat a 4 quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the oil and onion and stir occasionally while sautéing for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, making sure not to burn the garlic. Stir in the paprika.
- Add half of the can of tomatoes with the juice (save the other half for the end of the recipe), pumpkin, broth, San-J Thai Peanut Sauce, peanut butter and brown sugar. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Using a hand-immersion blender, blend the soup until creamy. Add the remaining tomatoes and stir. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls.
- If desired, sprinkle with chopped chives and peanuts as a garnish.
Recipe and photo used with permission. © 2012 San-J International. All rights reserved.