I love having Thanksgiving leftovers, but at some point I’m tired of reheating a plate of turkey, stuffing and sides. Instead, I’ll try out some gluten free and whole wheat pasta and turkey leftover recipes from the National Pasta Association, a trade association that promotes the goodness of pasta.
I chose the the Rigatoni-Turkey Salad since it combines leftover vegetables from the Thanksgiving feast like carrots and peas along with the leftover turkey. Also, since you’ll be tired of cooking anything too complicated after Thanksgiving, this recipe is easy and quick to prepare.
Recipe courtesy of the National Pasta Association
- 8 ounces Rigatoni, Elbow Macaroni or other medium pasta shape, uncooked (gluten free, whole wheat or conventional pasta will all work well)
- 1 1/2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrots
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Prepare pasta according to package directions, drain and rinse with cold water. Drain well.
- Combine turkey and vegetables in a large bowl. Add pasta.
- Combine oil, vinegar and seasonings in a jar. Shake until well blended.
- Pour over pasta and stir well. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
Photo courtesy of the National Pasta Association and used with permission.