Are you headed for a long road trip with the kids this holiday season? While many truck stops, gas stations and fast food places are offering healthier fare, packing your own healthy snacks is a great way to save money and avoid temptation.
Here’s a list of a few healthy snacks my family and I like to take on road trips:
- Hard boiled eggs – peel them ahead of time
- Easy to eat fruit like grapes, bananas, oranges, and apples
- Dried fruit – buy the natural kind without the added sugar
- Cheese – string cheese sticks, precut chunks, or Babybel low fat cheeses are all great choices
- Beef jerky
- Healthy crackers and snack bars
- Sports bottles to fill up with water during pit stops
- Sandwiches or sandwich fixings – lean meats, bread, mustard, cheese slices, etc.
- Dark chocolate
- Sugar free gum
- 100% juice boxes
Also, don’t forget a roll of paper towels, maybe a small knife for cutting up cheese or putting mustard on sandwiches, a few baggies, and a trash bag or two.
Will you be traveling by car this holiday season?
Disclosure: As a member of the Kia Social Club, I’m compensated for my time and efforts on their behalf. All experiences and opinions are my own. Image provided by Kia Motors.