One of my family’s favorite summer time appetizers is Caprese. Sometimes I think that we grow basil and tomatoes just to have this dish. Traditionally it’s made with red wine vinegar, but I enjoy it with Nakano Rice Vinegar, which I find has a lighter taste and doesn’t overpower the basil, cheese and tomatoes.
This is a simple appetizer to make when you have guests over and not a lot of time to fuss in the kitchen making food. Plus it’s easy enough to make that the kids can help by slicing tomatoes or picking basil leaves. My kids love this dish, though Lucie has a bad habit of not eating the basil. Oh well, just more for me to put on my caprese!
Easy Peasy Caprese
- 1 log of Mozzarella (I like the one from Trader Joe’s that says it’s for slicing.)
- a few tomatoes from the garden or store
- fresh basil leaves from the garden or store, washed and gently patted dry
- Nakano Natural Rice Vinegar for splashing
- olive oil for drizzling
- salt and pepper
- Slice the mozzarella up in thin slices. Place slices on a large plate or platter.
- Count how many mozzarella slices you have, then cut tomatoes up in thin slices to match that number.
- Place tomato slices underneath the cheese slices so they’re directly on the plate or platter.
- Cover tomato and mozzarella with basil leaves. If you have small leaves and big slices of tomato/cheese, feel free to use more than one leaf.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the basil leaves.
- Next splash on a little Nakano Natural Rice Vinegar.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.
Nakano 60-Day SPLASH IT ON, STEP IT UP CHALLENGE – Ends 8/24
Nakano is holding a 60-Day Splash it on, Step it up Challenge on Facebook to encourage their fans to to make healthy lifestyle choices such as eating more vegetables and being more active. Check it out for fun and helpful fitness tips and health features such as a step tracker wrapping around a globe that show you the number of steps you’ve walked.
They’re also offering prizes such as a one-year free gym membership for the first prize winner. (The second prize winner receives six personal training sessions and third prize winner will receive a Nakano workout bag!) It ends on August 24th (this Thursday!) so sign up as soon as possible!
You can also sign up for Mizkan’s enewsletter to be eligible for their Splash for Cash giveaway – a chance to win $150! (Mizkan is the parent company of NAKANO.) Even if you don’t win, you’ll get a terrific enewsletter filled with tips and recipes. I signed up for it months ago and really like it.
Disclosure: Mizkan, the parent company of NAKANO, provided compensation for this post. All opinions and experiences are my own.