This week’s to do list:
- Enter a recipe in the Dreamfields’ Summer Pasta Salad Contest on Facebook. (Not on Facebook? You can enter here.)
- Enter to win the Dreamfields Family of Products here at This Mama Cooks! On a Diet – giveaway ends Thursday at midnight!
- Enjoy this pasta salad from one of last year’s winners to inspire you to enter both contests!
Spicy and Cool Pasta Salad
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Makes 8-10 side dish servings
- 1 box Dreamfields Penne Rigate
- 2 ears corn or 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 2 poblanochiles, roasted, peeled and chopped (see note)
- 1 cup crumbled queso fresco cheese (see note)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup mango chutney
- 2 tablespoons chili oil (see note)
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Remove pasta from pot; do not discard pasta water. Rinse pasta with cold water until completely cooled; drain again. Place in large bowl. Return pasta water to stove; bring to boil.
- Meanwhile, shuck corn and remove silks. Place in boiling pasta water 5 to 7 minutes or until corn is tender. Drain; rinse with cold water until completely cooled. Cut corn off cob.
- Add corn, chopped poblanos, cheese, chives, cilantro and salt to pasta; toss to combine. In small bowl, stir together chutney and chili oil. Pour over pasta mixture; toss until coated. Serve immediately. To serve chilled, do not add dressing. Cover and refrigerate pasta mixture. Remove from refrigerator 15 minutes before serving; toss with dressing.
- To roast poblano chiles, cut poblanos in half; remove membrane and seeds. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place chiles cut side down on baking sheet. Broil 6 inches from heat source, about 5 minutes or until blackened; check periodically. Place in plastic bag 10 minutes. Peel and coarsely chop chiles.
- Crumbled feta or shredded Mexican cheese blend may be substituted for the queso fresco.
- If chili oil is not available, substitute 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes.
Per serving (1/8 of recipe)
- 268 calories
- 9 g protein
- 14 g digestible carbohydrates (If traditional pasta is used in this recipe there is a total of 44 g carbohydrate. For more information go to www.DreamfieldsFoods.com.)
- 8 g total fat
- 2 g saturated fat
- 10 mg cholesterol
- 304 mg sodium
- 5 g total dietary fiber
Recipe and photograph used with permission from Dreamfields Pasta.
Disclosure: I am a VIP member of the Dreamfields Pasta “Dream Team 2012” and was compensated for my time in running the giveaway.