Are you getting tired of grilling the same old burgers, brats and franks? How about trying healthy lamb burger “sliders” with a little bit of blue cheese? This recipe comes from Cooking Light Way to Cook Grilling: The Complete Visual Guide to Healthy Grilling a terrific how to book that includes techniques on the basics of grilling, setup and food prep.
You’ll learn how to smoke, marinate, brine and more while mastering the art of grilling steaks, burgers, chicken, fish, veggies and even fruit. The cookbook contains over 125 recipes accompanied by full-color how-to photos – perfect for the grilling newbie or just someone who wants to learn how to grill something besides steak!
This mini burgers would make be great to serve at your next party, too!
Mini Lamb Burgers with Blue Cheese
Yield: 8 servings
Serving size: 1 slider
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 2⁄3 cups thinly sliced onion (about 1 large)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3⁄8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 13 ounces lean ground lamb
- Cooking spray
- 8 (1.3-ounce) mini sandwich buns, toasted
- 1 cup arugula leaves
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sugar to pan; cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in 1⁄8 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat; cook 8 minutes or until tender and browned, stirring occasionally. Keep warm.
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Combine remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and lamb in a large bowl. Divide lamb mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1⁄2-inch-thick patty. Press a nickel-sized indentation in the center of each patty. Place patties on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 3 minutes on each side.
- Place arugula evenly on bottom halves of buns; top with 1 patty, 11⁄2 tablespoons caramelized onion, and about 3⁄4 teaspoon blue cheese. Cover with top halves of buns.
- CALORIES 226
- FAT 10.4g (sat 3.8g, mono 4.8g, poly 1g)
- PROTEIN 11.8g
- CARB 21.2g
- FIBER 1.6g
- CHOL 33mg
- IRON 1.8mg
- SODIUM 347mg
- CALC 68mg
This Mama’s tips
- If you’re gluten free, substitute feta cheese for the blue cheese and gluten free buns or bread slices for the sandwich buns.
- You can substitute Madhava Organic Coconut Sugar for the brown sugar, if you have to avoid cane sugar due to food sensitivities, like me.
- A low calorie substitute for brown sugar would be Splenda Brown Sugar Blend.
Recipe and picture courtesy of Cooking Light and used with permission.
Disclosure: Amazon links are affiliate links. A commission may be earned from a referred sale to their website.