Are you getting tired of grilling the same old burgers, brats and franks? How about trying healthy lamb burger “sliders” with a little bit of blue cheese? This recipe comes from Cooking Light Way to Cook Grilling: The Complete Visual Guide to Healthy Grilling a terrific how to cookbook that includes techniques on the basics of grilling, setup and food prep.
You’ll learn how to smoke, marinate, brine and more while mastering the art of grilling steaks, burgers, chicken, fish, veggies and even fruit. The cookbook contains over 125 recipes accompanied by full-color how-to photos – perfect for the grilling newbie or just someone who wants to learn how to grill something besides steak!
This mini burgers would make be great to serve at your next party, too!
This Mama’s tips
- If you’re gluten free, substitute gluten free buns or bread slices for the sandwich buns.
- You can substitute Madhava Organic Coconut Sugar for the brown sugar, if you have to avoid cane sugar due to food sensitivities, like me.
- A low calorie substitute for brown sugar would be Splenda Brown Sugar Blend.
Mini Lamb Burgers with Blue Cheese
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 2⁄3 cups thinly sliced onion (about 1 large)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon brown sugar
- 3⁄8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 13 ounces lean ground lamb
- Cooking spray
- 8 (1.3-ounce) mini sandwich buns, toasted
- 1 cup arugula leaves
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sugar to pan; cook 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in 1⁄8 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat; cook 8 minutes or until tender and browned, stirring occasionally. Keep warm.
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Combine remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, pepper, and lamb in a large bowl. Divide lamb mixture into 8 equal portions, shaping each into a 1⁄2-inch-thick patty. Press a nickel-sized indentation in the center of each patty. Place patties on grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 3 minutes on each side.
- Place arugula evenly on bottom halves of buns; top with 1 patty, 11⁄2 tablespoons caramelized onion, and about 3⁄4 teaspoon blue cheese. Cover with top halves of buns.
- Serving size: 1 slider
- Calories: 226
- Calories from Fat: 10.4g
- Total Fat: 4.8g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Unsaturated fat: 1g
- Sodium: 347mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 21.2g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Protein: 11.8g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
Recipe and picture courtesy of Cooking Light and used with permission.
Disclosure: Amazon links are affiliate links. A commission may be earned from a referred sale to their website.