There’s nothing like coffee in bed on Mother’s Day. But if it’s been hot at your house like it has been at mine, maybe a coffee granita, a type of Italian ice, would be more appropriate. This recipe comes from Chef Michael of ABC’s The Chew. Michael makes this for his own mom, and the recipe’s easy enough to be a fun project for the kids to make the night before Mother’s Day.
Check out my post Cappuccino Granitas, sugar free frozen treats with a buzz! for two other granita recipes – one with chocolate, another with cinnamon, and both with coconut milk.
By Chef Michael Symon of The Chew
- 1 pot of coffee
- Sugar or no calorie sweetener (to taste)
- Brew a pot of coffee.
- Add sugar or sweetener into a medium bowl. Mix until sugar or sweetener dissolves.
- Place coffee and sugar mixture into a large baking dishing and cover with plastic wrap. Put it in the freezer.
- After 45 minutes, scrape mixture with a fork. Repeat every 45 minutes for the first two hours.
- Freeze overnight and scrape it again just before serving.
- In a tall glass, place a few scoops of granita and top with some whipped cream or topping.
- Serve with biscotti and enjoy!
Recipe and video used with permission from The Chew.