For people living with lactose intolerance, Mexican food can be a problem because of the sour cream and cheese used. Luckily, Redwood Hill Farm and Green Valley Organics products like lactose-free sour creams, kefirs and yogurt that can be used in many Mexican dishes like Chilled Avocado Soup with Roasted Corn and Pico de Gallo Garnish (featured below), Chicken Tinga Tacos with Avocado Chile Crema and Chipotle Lime Slaw, and Individual Tres Leches Cakes - three terrific recipes for Cinco de Mayo.
Their Green Valley Organics real dairy products are lactose and gluten free. Their Redwood Hill Farm line of yogurt and kefir is made from Grade A goat milk, which is easier to digest for many people who are lactose sensitive since goat milk contains 25% less lactose than cow’s milk.
I love the ideas of cold soups in hot weather, don’t you? This lactose and gluten free recipe features the nutritional goodness of both avocado and pico de gallo. To save time, buy premade pico de gallo at the store.
If you’re lactose intolerant, have you tried Green Valley Organics or Redwood Hill farm products yet?
Chilled Avocado Soup with Roasted Corn and Pico de Gallo Garnish
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 ears of corn, roasted on a grill and removed from cob OR
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1 large tomato, halved with seeds removed
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped (divided)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 4 teaspoons seeded and chopped jalapeno pepper (to taste, divided)
- 3 limes, juiced (divided)
- 3 ripe avocadoes, pitted and peeled
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup Redwood Hill Farms Plain Kefir
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup warm water or gluten-free chicken broth
- Salt to taste
- To roast the corn on the stovetop, heat oil in a sauté pan over medium high heat. Add fresh or frozen and thawed corn kernels and cook 5 to 7 minutes, until the corn is golden and toasted. Set aside.
- To make the pico de gallo, chop tomato in to very small pieces and mix with onion (put 1 tablespoon onion aside for soup), cilantro and 2 teaspoons jalapeno pepper (to taste). Stir in lime juice from 2 limes and roasted corn, Add salt to taste and set aside.
- To make the soup, place avocados, peas, kefir, cilantro, 1 tablespoon onion, 2 teaspoons jalapeno (to taste) and juice from 1 lime in a blender. Puree until smooth. Add warm water or chicken broth to thin out the soup. Add salt to taste.
- Divide soup between four or six bowls and top with roasted corn and pico de gallo garnish. Serve with your favorite hot sauce.
- Calories: 285
- Calories from Fat: 162
- Total Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Unsaturated fat: 16g
- Sodium: 134mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 23g
- Sugar: 11g
- Fiber: 12g
- Protein: 8g
- Cholesterol: 1mg