My kids enjoy having Orville Redenbacher SmartPop! as an after school snack as it’s something they can make themselves with a minimum of supervision. However, even microwave popcorn loses its appeal if I suggest having it for an after school snack more than once a week.
If that’s the case at your house, you may want to dress up your popcorn with different flavors. For example:
- Add some ground cinnamon
- Sprinkle on some garlic or onion powder
- Add red pepper flakes to your popcorn
- Use some hot sauce or soy sauce
- Sprinkle on some Mrs. Dash seasonings blends like Fiesta Lime or Caribbean Citrus
- Sprinkle on a little hot cocoa mix
- Mist it with a little vanilla extract then sprinkle on some vanilla protein powder
For kids who like that salty-sweet taste, they could even dip their popcorn in flavored low fat yogurt. (This is strictly for the kids who like dipping fries in milkshakes.)
Popcorn is a healthy after school snack
The school year may be ending or done for you. But that doesn’t mean our kids won’t rummaging in the kitchen during after school snack time. So be prepared by stocking up on healthy snack items like low fat yogurt, fruit pops, low fat cheese sticks, whole grain pretzels, hard boiled eggs, cut up fruit and veggies, berries and grapes, nuts, and Orville Redenbacher SmartPop!
Here’s why Orville Redenbacher SmartPop! makes a great after school (or summer afternoon snack).
- popcorn is a good source of fiber, which fills you up and makes you feel less hungry
- snacking on 100-calories of low-fat healthy popcorn leads to less hunger and more satisfaction versus other snacks like almonds or pretzels
- one SmartPop! Bowl has 240 calories from 15 cups of popcorn. So if you go nuts and eat the whole thing, which I did the other day, it’s not going to pack on the pounds
- popcorn is a whole grain snack – just three cups of Orville Redenbacher’s SmartPop! provides an entire serving of whole grain
- Orville Redenbacher SmartPop! is low in fat and has zero grams of trans fats
- it’s also low in calories – just 100 calories for six cups
Try the Healthy Snacking Challenge yourself!
Just wanted to remind you that my giveaway of five boxes of Orville Redenbacher SmartPop! ends tonight at midnight. Five winners will receive one box of Orville Redenbacher SmartPop! Enter here.
Disclosure: I wrote this review while participating in an ambassador campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Orville Redenbacher’s and received Orville Redenbacher’s SmartPop! products and a promotional item to thank me for taking the time to participate.