As I promised a few days ago in my post for Gluten Free Asian Cobb Salad, here’s another San-J recipe by Carol Kicinski of Simply Gluten Free. This would be a terrific gluten free dish for Meatless Monday as it’s vegetarian and vegan friendly.
Also, even though Carol’s directions are to serve it hot, I bet it would make a terrific summer time cold pasta salad dish, too.
Gluten Free Spicy Ginger Tofu Noodle Salad
By Carol Kicinski of Simply Gluten Free
Serves 4 as entrée and 6 as appetizer
- 1/3 cup San-J Gluten Free Tamari Ginger Dressing
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (more if you want it spicier) red pepper flakes
- 1 pound gluten free brown rice fettuccini style pasta
- Gluten free non-stick cooking spray
- 1 pound firm tofu
- 4 ounces shitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 1 English (hothouse) cucumber
- 1 bunch cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into small dice
- Salt & pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- Whisk together the San-J Gluten Free Tamari Ginger Dressing with the garlic powder and red pepper flakes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and rinse with hot water. Add the dressing and toss to coat.
- While the pasta is cooking pat the tofu dry with paper towels and cut into
- 1 inch pieces. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Spray the pay heavily with non-stick cooking spray and add the tofu pieces. Let cook for
- 1 – 2 minutes undisturbed or until they are golden brown. Flip the pieces over and continue cooking until browned on all sides. When the tofu is done, remove from the skillet, add to the pasta and add the mushroom slices to the hot skillet and cook until browned, stirring often, about 2 – 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms to the pasta.
- Peel the cucumber, cut in half lengthwise, scrap out the seeds with a spoon, cut into thin slices and add to the pasta. Reserve some of the chopped cilantro for garnish and add the rest to the pasta along with the green onions and bell pepper. Toss everything together and season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with the reserved cilantro leaves and the sesame seeds.
Recipe and photo used with permission. © 2012 San-J International. All rights reserved.