Colorado is in the grip of Tebow fever, so I’m sure everyone’s having a football watching party on Saturday. So what kind of party food recipes will you be serving?
This Speedy Chicken Chili from today’s guest poster, Holly Clegg, is sure to be a healthy party food hit no matter who you're rooting for. Check out more of Holly’s trim& TERRIFIC® recipes at hollyclegg.com and The Healthy Cooking Blog.
Soup-er Bowl Easy Suppers
What kind of party food is better to feed and please a hungry crowd for a football watching party than a Soup-er easy supper?! Entertaining should be fun and easy – making sure the hosts are able to enjoy the party. A hearty, healthy and satisfying meal on the table is simple with this belly-filling and heart warming soup.
One-pot meals are great because they leave easy cleanup, without the hassle of tons of dirty dishes, they feed a crowd and can easily be frozen in batches for making ahead or dinner another day. I cannot wait to share with you my must-try “soup-er” supper!
Tips for an easy Soup-er Bowl party
- A soup buffet is the perfect solution to feed a “come and go crowd.”
- Serve soup simmering on the stove or use crock-pots to keep your soup warm.
- Have mugs by the soup so guests can eat at their leisure.
- Freeze soups ahead of time.
- Double the recipe and place half in the freezer to pull out when we have the urge.
Speedy Chicken Chili Soup
Serve with reduced-fat cheese, avocado, and onions. Look for fresh salsa or your favorite flavored salsa to pump up flavor. For a short-cut, use pre- cooked, grilled whole chicken breast fillets (great grilled flavor) or rotisserie chicken.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chopped tomatoes, with juice
- 4 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chilies
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- Shredded reduced-fat cheese, avocado, and red onions, optional
- In large pot coated with nonstick cooking spray, season chicken and cook until lightly browned, 5 minutes.
- Add salsa, tomatoes, broth, green chilies, oregano, and cumin. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and cook 15 minutes. Add corn and beans, cooking another 5-10 minutes until well heated and bubbly. Serve with condiments.
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Calories: 257
- Calories from Fat: 18
- Total Fat: 2g
- Saturated fat: 0g
- Unsaturated fat: 2g
- Sodium: 740mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 29g
- Sugar: 6g
- Fiber: 7g
- Protein: 29g
- Cholesterol: 53mg
Dietary Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 very lean meat