According to the 2011 National Diabetes Fact Sheet, 25.8 million children and adults in the United States — 8.3% of the population — have diabetes. Out of these 7.0 million people are undiagnosed. Also, 79 million people are prediabetic, meaning their blood glucose levels that are higher than normal but not yet high enough to be diagnosed as diabetes.
Diabetes Care Club is a great source of delicious recipes for diabetics, their families, and anyone who wants to eat healthy. Check it out!
Pistachio-Orange Crusted Chicken
- 1 boneless skinless chicken breast half (8 to 10 ounces)
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup shelled unsalted pistachio nuts
- 2 tablespoons plain panko crumbs or 1 tablespoon fine dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- Orange wedges (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place a wire cooling rack or other type of cooking rack on a baking sheet; set aside.
- Place the chicken breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, pound the chicken to ¼-inch thickness. Season the chicken with the salt and pepper. Cut the chicken crosswise in half.
- Place the nuts and panko in a food processor container. Cover and process with on/off turns just until the nuts are finely chopped. Transfer the nuts to a shallow dish or pie plate. Stir in the orange peel and thyme.
- Place the beaten egg white in another shallow dish or pie plate. Dip the chicken pieces into the egg white, then into the nut mixture. Coat both sides of the chicken with the nuts. Place the chicken on the rack on the baking sheet.
- Bake the chicken in the preheated oven for 14 to 18 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer inserted near the center reads 165°F.
- Serving size: 1
- Calories: 351
- Total Fat: 16g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Unsaturated fat: 14g
- Sodium: 196mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 11g (1 carb choice)
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 41g
- Cholesterol: 81mg
Photo courtesy of Diabetes Care Club.