Not only is this burrito low calorie and high in protein, but it also has anti-cancer and heart health benefits, and the ingredients help boost metabolism and promote healthy skin.
In The Master Your Metabolism Calorie Counter, Jillian warns to pick breads that are the least refined with the fewest ingredients. Choose brands that no HFCS and no hydrogenated oils.
If you cannot find whole wheat tortillas that aren’t overly processed, try Flatout whole grain flatbreads instead.
Tomato, Avocado, and Cheddar Burrito
- 4 (10- inch) whole- wheat tortillas
- 3 plum tomatoes, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons thinly sliced red onion
- 1 ounce low- fat Cheddar cheese, grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 firm, ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 large basil leaves
- 4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- Position a rack 4 inches below the broiler and heat the broiler to high. Alternatively, have ready a cast-iron griddle or other heavy-bottomed pan and when ready to cook, heat it over medium-high heat.
- Lay the tortillas on the work surface. Arrange the tomatoes in a straight line down the center of each tortilla, slightly overlapping them and dividing them equally among the four tortillas.
- Divide the onion among the tortillas, evenly spreading it down each row of tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of each.
- Carefully slide one tortilla onto a rimless baking sheet and place under the broiler until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 1 minute. Or transfer 1 or 2 tortillas to the griddle and heat until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 2 minutes.
- Slide the warmed tortilla onto a plate. Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Meanwhile, top the warmed cheese with one- fourth of the avocado slices. Grind a little black pepper on top, if desired.
- Tear 2 basil leaves into small pieces and sprinkle over the vegetables.
- Top with 1 cup of lettuce and roll up the burrito into a tight cylinder. Repeat with the remaining burritos.
- Slice each burrito in half and serve.
- Calories: 260.5 kcal
- Fat: 11.8 g
- Protein: 8.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 31.3 g
- Sodium: 223.7 mg
More Jillian Michaels Master Your Metabolism recipes
Amazon links are affiliate links. A commission may be earned from a referred sale to their website.