I’ve noticed that a lot of readers come here looking for crockpot and slow cooker recipes. Since I aim to please, I’ll be sharing a few of the ones I’ve recently made for my family.
This one is based on a recipe by Sara Puskar and
Nancy Wagner Graves that was featured in FIX-IT and FORGET-IT LIGHTLY: Healthy, Low-Fat Recipes for Your Slow Cooker.
Slow-Cooker Fajita Stew
Makes 8 servings
(Ideal slow cooker size: 3- or 4-quart)
- 3 lbs. stew meat*
- 3 small onions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. McCormick’s Taco Seasoning
- 14-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- Trim excess fat from stew meat and cut into 2 inch pieces.
- Combine with onion in slow cooker.
- Mix together taco seasoning and undrained tomatoes. Pour over beef.
- Place cut-up peppers on top.
- Cover. Cook on low 6-8 hours or until beef is tender.
Nutritional information per serving for top round steak:
- 320 calories
- 7g fat
- 85mg cholesterol
- 330 mg sodium
- 31g total carbohydrate
- 2g fiber
- 3g protein
Weight Watchers POINTS depend on the type of meat used. All other ingredients are “free.”
- *Boneless beef top round steak is good. I used venison. You could try buffalo or even a pork loin roast.
- Serve with corn tortillas, salsa, cilantro and avocado slices.
- You can also make a fajita bowl by serving the stew over brown rice or cooked quinoa.