With the Pro Bowl and Super Bowl games coming up, preparing a healthy slow cooker dish ahead of time is a great way to keep your family and party guests fed while you watch the game.
This dish is based on Pork and Butternut Squash Stew found in the February 2010 issue of Ladies Home Journal. The original recipe used frozen corn and lima beans. I’ve substituted a bag of frozen yellow (summer) squash and zucchini. I also used frozen butternut squash, since it’s already peeled and cut.
I made this last weekend during the playoffs. The pork was tender and the stew was full of flavor. It was a hit both with the adults and the kids, and will be something I’ll make again when pork shoulder is on sale or I have an abundance of squash and zucchini.
Pork, Squash, Butternut and Zucchini Stew
Prep: 20 min Start to finish: 4-8 hours
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1-1/2 lbs pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 14.5-oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1-1/2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 medium yellow onion, cut into large dice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 16-oz bag of frozen butternut squash
- 1 16-oz bag of frozen yellow (summer) squash and zucchini
- Stir together flour, paprika, coriander and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut pork into 1-inch cubes (make sure you trim as much fat off as possible)
- Toss pork in flour mixture with your hands to coat the meat.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet, Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat. Add pork (reserving any excess flour mixture), reduce heat to medium and cook until browned on all sides, about 10 min.
- Transfer to a your slow cooker.
- Add remaining flour mixture to slow cooker along with 1 cup water, tomatoes with juice, broth, onion, bay leaf and vinegar.
- Cook 6 to 7 hours on low or 3 hours on high for slow cooker.
- Adjust heat to low if using high heat on the slow cooker and add the frozen vegetables.
- Continue to cook until vegetables are cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Calories 257
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.4g 22%
- Saturated Fat 4.8g 24%
- Trans Fat 0.0g
- Cholesterol 51mg 17%
- Sodium 436mg 18%
- Total Carbohydrates 16.4g 5%
- Dietary Fiber 3.1g 12%
- Sugars 4.4g
- Protein 16.3g
- Vitamin A 141%
- Vitamin C 50%
- Calcium 6%
- Iron 11%
Nutrition Grade A- from CalorieCount
Percentages based on a 2000 calorie diet
Weight Watchers POINTS = 5 per serving
- If you cook gluten free, use rice flour instead of all purpose flour. (I used a combination of white and whole grain brown rice flour, and the stew was just as thick as if I used wheat flour.)
- Frozen vegetables cook up very quickly. If you are using raw squash and/or zucchini, make sure to adjust cooking time.