If you’re a fan of Mad Men, you’ve eagerly waited for the summer to be over so you could watch the premier this Sunday. So why not celebrate by having a Mad Men viewing cocktail party?
If a retro cocktail party sounds like a fattening, greasy food orgy of Swedish meatballs, Devil’s Food spread on crackers, and pigs in a blanket, not to worry.
You can made veggie crudités with a herb yogurt dip, of course, served in your grandma’s chip and dip kitsch-ware. Or you can try out some updated, healthified deviled egg classics.
Avocado and Yogurt Deviled Eggs
Makes 6 servings
This is a healthier version of traditional deviled eggs. While yogurt replaces the mayonnaise, you could use no fat Greek yogurt or no fat mayo, too.
- 1 to 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 6 large eggs
- Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 avocado, peeled pitted and cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced jalapeno (optional)
- Place the eggs in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, uncovered. When the water begins to boil, remove the pan from the heat and cover for 8 minutes. Remove the eggs from the pan and place in ice water.
- Peel as soon as they are cool. Cut the peeled eggs in half lengthwise. Scoop out the yolks and place in a medium bowl. Reserve the whites.
- Combine with the avocado, lemon juice, garlic, jalapeno and yogurt. Mash with the back of a fork until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon the mixture in a small zip-lock bag. Snip off a small corner of the plastic bag, leaving about a 1/4-inch opening. Pipe the avocado mixture back into the egg whites. Top each with a cilantro leaf and place on a serving platter.
Total Calories: 165, Carbohydrates: 17.69 g, Total Fat: 8.90 g, Protein: 6.91 g, Sat Fat: 2.35 g, Fiber: 3.66 g
Weight Watchers POINTS: 3
Since the Avocado and Yogurt Deviled Eggs are 3 Weight Watchers POINTS, you may want to try this Weight Watchers deviled egg recipe instead.
Curried Deviled Eggs
Yields 2 filled egg halves per serving
- 4 large egg(s), white shelled-variety
- 3 tbsp plain fat-free yogurt
- 2 tsp curry powder, mild-variety
- 1/4 tsp table salt
- 4 sprig(s) cilantro, for garnish
- Place eggs in a medium saucepan and fill with enough water to cover eggs; bring to a boil for 2 minutes. Turn off heat and cover pan; let stand covered for 10 minutes on stove. Place pan in sink and run cold water over eggs until cool (no need to drain first); peel eggs and slice each one in half lengthwise.
- Remove yolks and place yolks in a small bowl; mash with yogurt, curry powder and salt.
- Spoon yolk mixture back into egg white halves and garnish each with a small piece of cilantro.
Weight Watchers POINTS = 2 per servings