Shrimp is a wonderful party food since 2 ounces is equal to 1 Weight Watchers POINT. And if you’ve ever weighed out shrimp, that’s a lot of shrimp.
Since shrimp cocktail always reminds me of gambling in Vegas and listening to the Rat Pack, it’s the perfect retro food for a Mad Men viewing party. And eating a bunch won’t make you pop out of your girdle and bullet bra either.
- bell peppers
- fresh shrimp, deveined
- lemon wedge
- cocktail dressing
- Cut 1 inch rings from bell peppers.
- Devein shrimp and replace the vein with a pimento strip.
- Place pepper ring on lettuce and fill with shrimp.
- Garnish with parsley. Serve with a lemon wedge and cocktail dressing.
- Flaked salmon and diced cucumber, or flaked tuna and diced celery can also be used to fill the pepper rings.
POINTS wise, cocktail sauce is a winner since 1/4 cup is equal to 1 POINT.
- 6 Tbs. chili sauce
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbs. horseradish (or to taste)
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp. grated onion
- 2 drops Tabasco sauce
- salt to taste
- Combine ingredients and chill thoroughly.
- Serve with seafood cocktails or other seafood appetizers. Makes 1/2 cup.
Here’s an alternative to the traditional shrimp cocktail. It reminds me of the Mexican shrimp cocktails you get in Baja with the tomato sauce, salsa and diced avocado.
- 36 jumbo shrimp, precooked, tail on
- 2 tablespoons tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoons green olives, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1/2 cup prepared quality salsa
The next 5 ingredients are to your taste – the measurements are just suggestions.
- 2 tablespoons each fresh orange, fresh lime juice, and Tequila
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco
For garnish, you can use thick slices of avocado, lime wedges, and cilantro leaves.
- Have Margarita glasses chilling. If you want more of a Mad Men feel, use oversized martini glasses.
- In a large bowl, combine the tomato, cilantro, olives and jalapeno.
- In a medium bowl, blend the salsa, juices, the Tequila, Worcestershire and Tabasco sauces.
- Stir in the tomato mixture. Chill this mixture before assembling the cocktails.
- Just before serving, cut the avocado into thick slices and splash some limes juice on them so they don't brown.
- Cut the limes into wedges and gather the cilantro garnish.
- Place an avocado slice in the chilled glass and spoon the cocktail sauce next, leaving part of the avocado exposed. Place a lime wedge on each
glass and line six shrimp around the rims. You may want to dip them into the sauce slightly to give them anchorage. Garnish with the