O.K., is it “kebab” or “kabob”? According to Wikipedia, it can be “kebap, kabab, kebob, kabob, kibob, kebhav, kephav.” The history of the dish is rather interesting, so take a peek at the entire entry for “Kebab” when you have a sec.
My husband is a huge fan of the German-style döner kebab, which he ate a lot of when he lived in Berlin as a student. Basically, it’s fast, greasy, delicious and cheap take out food you eat around 4 a.m. on your way home after a hard night of drinking.
But let’s turn our attention healthy Weight Watchers kebabs (their preferred spelling) instead. This dish comes from their cookbook, Weight Watchers Grill It! 150 Flex & Core Plan Recipes.
What I especially like about this dish is that it’s inexpensive to make and instead of more traditional kebab veggies like tomatoes and zucchini, it uses apples.
Curry-Marinated Chicken Kebabs
Makes 4 servings
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 tablespoon + 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 pound skinless boneless chicken breast, cut into 24 pieces
- 3 medium apples, cored and cut into 48 (3/4-inch) pieces
- 2 cups hot cooked white rice (substitute brown rice if possible)
Prepare the marinade
- To make the marinade, combine the apple and lemon juices, the honey, oil, curry powder, salt, and pepper in a zip-close plastic bag. Add the chicken pieces.
- Squeeze out the air and seal the bag; turn to coat the chicken. Refrigerate, turning the bag occasionally, at least 30 minutes or up to overnight. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade.
- Pour the marinade into a small saucepan and boil, stirring often, for 3 minutes.
Heat the grill
- Turn on the grill and spray rack with nonstick spray. You want a medium fire with indirect heat. If using a gas grill, light only one burner, place the food over an unlit burner, close the lid and grill.
- For charcoal grills, mound the charcoal on one side of the grill and cook the food over the unheated side of the grill.
Prepare the skewers
- If using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in water for 30 minutes before preparing them.
- Thread 6 chicken pieces onto each of 4 (12-inch) metal or wooden skewers.
- Thread 6 apple pieces onto each of 8 more 12-inch metal or wooden skewers.
- Brush the apple skewers with the cooked marinade and place the chicken and apple skewers on the grill rack.
- Grill, turning occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and apples are tender, 5-7 minutes.
- Serve kebabs with the rice.
One serving is 1/2 cup white rice, 1 chicken kebab, and 2 apple kebabs
289 Cal, 3 g Fat, 1 g Sat Fat, o g Trans Fat, 47 mg Chol, 116 mg Sad, 47 g Carb, 3 g Fib, 20 g Prot, 29 mg Calc.
Weight Watchers POINTS = 5