This salad is a meal in itself and perfect for summer since asparagus and nectarines (or peaches) are in season. The recipe comes from Nancy S. Hughes book, The 1500-Calorie-a-Day Cookbook, which was sent to me by the senior editor at Diets in Review.com as a thank you for my guest post, Frozen Fruit Popsicles Make Snacking Healthy Fun.
The cookbook features nutritious meals at around 350 calories per serving, 150 calorie snacks and 150 calorie decadent desserts. I’m sure I’ll be dipping into The 1500-Calorie-a-Day Cookbook a lot.
Here’s a salad that provides a walloping 16 grams of protein and only 7 Weight Watchers POINTS per serving.
Protein Potato Salad with Asparagus Spears and Nectarine Slices
- 1/2 lb. (2 cups) diced extra lean ham
- 8 cups of water
- 1 1/2 lbs. (6 cups) red potatoes, scrubbed & cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 1/2 cup lite mayonnaise
- 2 tsp prepared mustard or to taste
- 1 1/2 medium celery stalks, chopped fine (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped fine (1/2 cup)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 2 medium nectarines or peaches, pitted and sliced
- Place a Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot and coat it with cooking spray.
- Add the ham and cook 3-4 minutes or until it begins to brown, stirring occasionally. Remove from Dutch oven and place in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Add the water to any pan residue in the Dutch oven and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the potatoes, return to a boil, and continue to boil for 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, combine mayonnaise, mustard, celery and onion in the large bowl with the ham. Stir until well blended and set aside.
- While potatoes are cooking, steam or microwave asparagus. Cool under cold water and blot dry. Set aside.
- Drain potatoes in a colander and run under cold water until cool. Shake off excess water and add to the ham mixture.
- Stir gently yet thoroughly until well blended and top with black pepper.
Each serving is 1 1/2 cup salad, served with with 4 ounces asparagus as a salad bed and 1/2 nectarine slices.
Salad: calories 300; total fat 12g; protein 13g; carbohydrates 35g; fiber 4g; cholesterol 35mg; sodium 930mg
Asparagus: calories 20; total fat 0g; protein 2g; carbohydrates 4g; fiber 2g; cholesterol 0mg; sodium 0mg
Nectarines: calories 35; total fat 0g; protein 1g; carbohydrates 8g; fiber 1g; cholesterol 0mg; sodium 0mg
Weight Watchers POINTS = 7