Did you know that:
- Cardiovascular disease kills approximately 450,000 women each year, which is about one every minute.
- More women die of cardiovascular disease than the next five causes of death combined, including all forms of cancer.
- Sixty-four percent of women who die suddenly of coronary heart disease have no previous symptoms.
That’s why the American Heart Association started Go Red For Women® to
educate and connects millions of women of all ages. With one out of three women still dying from heart disease, we continue to fight this No. 1 killer by helping women turn simple choices into life-saving actions. Whether it’s eating healthier, exercising more, reducing our cholesterol, or quitting smoking, Go Red helps women make these choices for themselves and each other.
Research shows that 96 percent of women who “Go Red” have made at least one
choice to improve their heart health. For example:
- More than 40 percent have lost weight.
- More than half have increased their exercise.
- Six out of ten have changed their diets.
- 53 percent have checked their cholesterol levels.
- One third have investigated their family’s history of heart disease or talked to their doctor about their personal heart risks.
What can you do to Go Red?
VISIT GOREDFORWOMENT.ORG: The No. 1 online destination where women can join Go Red and learn how to make heart-healthy choices every day. Online
- Go Red Heart CheckUp: An online tool that provides a 10-year, personal heart disease risk assessment.
- Community of Stories: Women can connect and share the choices they’ve
made to improve their health with the thousands of women who “Go Red.”
- Consumer Education: Go Red For Women provides education materials for consumers such as cookbooks, brochures, bookmarks, posters, Web alerts, etc.
- Shop Go Red: To support life-saving research and awareness programs, Go Red For Women offers apparel, accessories and other heart-healthy products.
NATIONWIDE CASTING CALLS: Share your story! Talk about the choices women you’ve made and why you’ve made them. Women who share their stories have the chance to become spokeswomen for the cause – representing Go Red For Women on our Web site, in our marketing materials, at events and possibly in an upcoming NBC television special.
JOIN THE GO RED FACEBOOK PAGE: And invite your friends to join, too.
GET HEART HEALTHY RECIPES from the American Heart Association.
JOIN CHOOSE TO MOVE: A free physical activity program for women.