This is a recipe that you need a lot of lead time for as it takes over 45 minutes to cook. However, it was worth it – not only was the dish yummy but it was very satisfying (must be all that protein). If you’re doing Weight Watchers, this recipe has only 3 POINTS because it’s full of fiber and has barely any fat.
Tomato-Curry Lentil Stew
Preparation time: 60 mins
Makes 1 serving
- 1/4 cup dry lentils
- 1/2 cup water PLUS (I ended up using about 1 1/2 cups of water.)
- 2-1/2 oz. diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. chopped yellow onion
- 1 celery stalk (I didn’t have celery in the house, so I substitued a half of a yellow bell pepper, diced. It worked out very well and added some nice color to the dish.)
- 1/8 tsp. curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash ground black pepper
- Chop celery and mince garlic.
- Combine lentils and water, bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to simmer, add tomatoes, onion, and celery. Add 1/2 cup of hot water.
- Cover and let simmer 45 minutes. Check every 15 minutes to stir, and add water if necessary.
- Add spices last 15 minutes to taste.
- Taste and re-spice if necessary before serving.
Time Saving Tip: Make up a batch the night before (while you’re eating dinner and cleaning up, for example) and reheat the next day.
Weight Watcher Points = 3
|Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed.|