In Pesach for the Rest of Us: Making the Passover Seder Your Own, author Marge Piercy shares with us how she creates her own Passover seder with a group of family and friends. In her journey through the ritual, Piercy coaxes us toward a contemporary interpretation, rethinking what is traditional, and opening the celebration to non-Jews.
Piercy also provides dozens of her own poems, blessings and recipes, including this one for cinnamon lamb. This sounds good enough to eat any time that lamb is on sale.
- leg of lamb
- 3 eggs
- 3 Tbsp. potato flour or fine matzoh meal
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- finely chopped parsley, basil or mint - or a combination
- juice of 2 lemons
- Score the lamb.
- Beat the eggs and then mix all the other ingredients.
- Fill the cracks and cover the outside of the lamb with the paste made from the above items.
- Let sit for half an hour.
- Roast normally. (See recipetips.com for lamb roasting instructions.)