The January issue of Cooking Light magazine had some terrific vegetarian soups. The Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup is very low in Weight Watchers Points – about 3 Points per serving! This should give you plenty of room for a salad, some bread sticks, and maybe a glass of wine.
You may want to double or triple this recipe and freeze for later.
Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup with Cranberry Relish
Yield: 4 servings
From Cooking Light
This is a thick puree of carrots and sweet potatoes garnished with a zesty cranberry topping. Storing and transporting is easy: Place one cup soup, about one tablespoon relish, and 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley in separate containers. To serve, reheat the soup; combine the relish and parsley, and garnish. Crisp breadsticks and a small wedge of sharp cheddar cheese complete the meal.
- 1/4 cup fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots (1 medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut in 2-inch pieces (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut in 2-inch chunks (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 small onion, cut into 8 wedges (about 14 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil 4 cups organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
To prepare relish, combine the first 4 ingredients in a small bowl; set aside. Preheat oven to 400°. To prepare soup, combine carrots, sweet potato, and onion on a jelly-roll pan; drizzle with oil. Toss to coat. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender and just beginning to brown, stirring after 15 minutes.
Place vegetables, broth, and ginger in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Place half of vegetable mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour pureed mixture into a large bowl; repeat procedure with remaining vegetable mixture. Stir in salt and pepper. Ladle 1 cup soup into each of 4 bowls. Stir parsley into relish. Top each serving with 1 tablespoon relish mixture.
CALORIES 144 (24% from fat); FAT 3.8g (sat 0.5g,mono 2.7g,poly 0.4g); PROTEIN 2.1g; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 44mg; SODIUM 763mg; FIBER 3.4g; IRON 0.8mg; CARBOHYDRATE 25.7g
|Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed.|